Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aphasia

Where do you see Design going?

Guest Aphasia

With the obvious over population (in England especially) of Design students and graduates looking for work. Ive heard some silly figures about the percentage of graduates who actually end up doing what they want to do, most of which probably end up in Call Centers at the moment.

Anyway, where do you think the next big growth area of Design will be throughout the world. I'm not to sure myself, but I think it would be fun to get estabilshed in a new country and work at the forefront of a brand new design world.

So, where do you see the nex big design growth area? (3d / product / industrial design)

China is one of the interesting areas for ID. The fast growing economy is asking for more and better products. I attended 2 lectures about ID in China, hearing that there are opportunities for us..especially if you are into design management. I'm still not very sure about the industrial design quality of the local designers though.

Guest jasmin.dong

yes, designers in China have big opportunities. More and more students start to work in ID.Actually, some of them are perfect.China developeed rapidly, and need more fresh ideas. I think China is the next big design growth area. And I am honour of it.

In China, it has the same problems--percentage of graduates. School wants its honour to attract students... I dislike it but can do nothing.

Guest Aphasia

yeah China does seem like a growth area, but how soon will all the jobs be filled and how easy is it to get work out there? Is it a case of 1 or 2 years before there are enough people to fill the jobs, or will it be a lot longer?

I think the robotic industry is growing, alot of small robots and toys are coming out nowdays.

Wireless robots

Saw an interesting link about a guy who design a controlable tank via webcam. It actually shoots paint ball!

Portable technologies

For sure one day people will use a computer while walking.

Comunication and technology

Faster net access is a need!

Guest rodanx86

China, definitely. There was a fairly long thread over at Core77 (filled with a lot of uniformed opininos) that talked about the potential of China in ID. I for one think they are on their way to being very influential designers (whether we agree with the aesthetics or not).

Here in the west, I think design is going to migrate slightly toward management and design strategy. Designers who can draw good are common, but designers who can think and communicate with different levels of the economy are going to have a competative advantage. IDEO, for example, is way into corporate development and has successfully brought ID into that arena.

Guest karlhurn

Yep, China it is. Not only has the UK lost all its manufacturing, but we're now losing our advantage in "Knowledge Base".

Will we all end up selling McDonalds to other people who also work in McDonalds? How does that work as an economy?

Guest ulisse

Yes! But i should extend to whole south asia, I also heared that in India it's starting a new "creativity evolution"...

just look new comercial spot, music, and in genre the indian culture that is spreadn' up to the occident...

Guest alexander_spencer

I think there is a huge emerging opportunity for designers in Dubai. It is currently the fastest growing city in the world, and it is growing faster than any other city in history has.

Guest Aphasia
I think there is a huge emerging opportunity for designers in Dubai. It is currently the fastest growing city in the world, and it is growing faster than any other city in history has.

But am i right in saying that a lot of the design in Dubai is architectural, engineering and more led by the high tech industrial endeavours? Do new products come out of Dubai?

Guest riaz

Ahh... Dubai.... I'd love to be able to work there... close to home and all the shawermas you can eat isn't something you can shake a stick at...

My understanding of Dubai is that which it doesn't have a large manufacturing base (hence not so many of your regular toasters, pots and pan designs) what's starting to happen is that architecture is so larege there that its starting to break up into a demand for locally (and often unqiue) designs for things like bathrooms, mall spaces, interiors (not to mention advertising and graphic design) etc... is that product design. Well it's kinda like a protoproduct design. Lets not forget that Dubai started of (and still is to a large extent) a huge shopping mall for the rich and wealthy in the Middle East. So there is a lot of money and investment opportunities.

So in conclusion... Industrial design in dubai is a byproduct of a lot of Architecture.... A LOT of architecture... Hence its often considered a subsidiary. But I do think there is a HUGE opportunity for someone to get beyound that a make their own 'design first' firm out there...

If someone did start a company in Dubai that was industrial design first. I would work for them right away. You could even pay me in Shawermas. ; )

- Riaz

I really should not be posting an unrelated post, but I thought it was funny that you guys were posting about Dubai

I actually grew up there in Almulla Plaza

Seriously though- I dont think that there is a lot for ID in Dubai yet. But there could be. Lot of marketers and graphic designers there though.;