1 reply to this topic

#1 JamesB

JamesB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hi guys,

I’m in the process of creating a prototype of a product. This is the first time I am doing anything like this - I have absolutely no experience with product design, so I’m looking for any advice on the type of material I should use.

A little bit of info about the product: it’s basically a box, 150x75x25mm. I want it to have a lid with a latch that can be locked with a lock and key (very amateur sketch is attached). The best real world example I can think of is one of those old school metal lunchboxes (but smaller, and around half the height).

I would like to know what type of material can be used. Ideally I would like to use a hard rubbery material, or a flexible plastic like the kind used in Croc shoes. Also, I would like the edges to be rounded.

I also want to put a handle on the top so you can easily carry it around. My biggest concern is that the hinge for the lid will not work with some materials. Any input would be much appreciated.

Please let me know if any additional information is required.

Attached Files

#2 JimmieJ

JimmieJ

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • At:DesignLabSG

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

There are lots of ways you could go about prototyping that. The processes would narrow down based on wall thicknesses, the hinge type, how the parts go together, and really what you want to accomplish with it. Is it for fit testing and design verification? Or, do you want a durable and useable prototype?
It's the early stage of design. You can make it as YOU want!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: