Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
JKoenig

Ergonomics: Digital Caliper

Hello, everyone.

This is my first post here. I am an industrial design student seeking some user feedback.

I am currently in an ergonomics class where I've been charged with designing a more ergonomic 6 inch digital caliper.

So, I need to find people who use digital calipers and find out what kind of problems/issues they have with their interactions. I thought this might be a good place to get that feedback since calipers are a common tool in this industry.

If anyone could give me their input on the subject of digital calipers, I would love to hear about what you like and what you don't like.

2 key things:

• The product MUST be digital. No analog/dial calipers. (The ergonomics of digital displays is an important concern)
  • I am not to change the way that the caliper takes measurements. (No modifying those parts that are typically metal)

Reference image to the exact type of tool in discussion:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/433301_lg.jpg

Thank you!

post-53544-0-65033900-1361917879.jpg

I used this tool sometimes, and perhaps you can consider about the size of the buttons and visibility of the display and even the storage solution. Perhaps larger buttons?

The handle is long and uncomfortable. The sharp edges of the handle are horrible because you have to fumble with it.

The positive is that they are extremely intuitive to use (excluding the depth piece, it sucks)

I have those exact same pair of calipers in my hands, I have large hands. I have no problems operating this device. The only thing that I can think of that would be nice to have on them is to help find hole depths. Let me explain. On the end where the slide comes out to insert into a hole, put a "T" on that end that can straddle a hole larger than the width of the surface with the measurment marks. If you look close to this end, there is a little bar with two tiny screws in it...simply make that flat bar/plate extend out, or have it be able to flip out when you need it.