Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
padepap

Elm Wood Furniture

Hi,

I would like to show you the solid wood furniture I designed and built this year with a friend from university and ask you to comment on it.. We built it in the wood shop of my grandfather. It was a very good experience.. What do you think?

You can see more images also on the homepage (www.ulmenholz.ch) I designed (I'm not very good with the technical stuff, but with firefox it runs well)

Thanks

post-59484-0-50682500-1356874810_thumb.jpg

post-59484-0-16277500-1356874818_thumb.jpg

post-59484-0-89625300-1356874827_thumb.jpg

post-59484-0-46765600-1356874834_thumb.jpg

Some pretty awesome stuff! If you would like to share, it'd be great if you could tell something about the design prices and/or manufacturing :) I find furniture design very intriguing, and this is some cool stuff.

hey Pandebus, thanks

Well, these furniture are handcrafted. Which means first, that it's expensive. But which means as well that it's not necessary to build too times the exactly same. you can adapt and develop the furniture easily. It is also very local. The wood we built it out of, comes from a tree which was standing right were now the woodshop stands (it's the woodshop of my grand-father). We don't know what way we want to go with the furniture. Somehow we believe in handcrafts, even it's difficult in the times of ikea. I mean, it worked in earlier times. We like the very old furniture, a chair which survives his owner. If something breaks, you just fix it, no problem.

I would like to tell you something about the manufacturing, but I just don't know the english words. What I can say is that we have very basic but very good machines and tools. A really good circular saw and a really simple planing machine are the most important..

I hope that helps a little to understand our design, bests, Patrick

Thanks. All together, it took about two weeks (2 nightstands, 2 chairs and 1 table). We were 2 people. But of course we would be faster the second time, and with a bigger number of the same furniture..

Wow, it looks really smooth! Congrads, this is pretty solid design, I must say.

How did you fix that shelf under the stool's seating? Do you have a picture of this detail?