Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
chowaniec

Building A Portfolio Without Past Id Experience?

I'm a recent (late 2010) mechanical engineering graduate who's interested in pursuing a Master's in ID, but I keep running into a slight problem that makes me hesitate: most ID master's programs request if not require a portfolio. Most of my work to date has dealt with structural design and design for manufacturability; there isn't much in the way of aesthetic design in there. I do some casual modeling for fun, but haven't got many samples of that either. How should I approach getting a portfolio together?

I'm a recent (late 2010) mechanical engineering graduate who's interested in pursuing a Master's in ID, but I keep running into a slight problem that makes me hesitate: most ID master's programs request if not require a portfolio. Most of my work to date has dealt with structural design and design for manufacturability; there isn't much in the way of aesthetic design in there. I do some casual modeling for fun, but haven't got many samples of that either. How should I approach getting a portfolio together?

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself but am slightly further down the mech eng and now materials science route (graduated in 2005 in mech eng).

I've contacted a few design firms here in the UK because I had similar questions to yourself regarding a portfolio. Basically, the companies I have spoken to have said that I would need to create a portfolio of my own design ideas (they do not necessarily have to be "real life" projects) to be considered for an ID based job.

You need to be able to demonstrate your creative ability in identifying problems that need to be solved and then show your skill in solving them. I would say that this is best done by looking around you at inefficiencies/poor design solutions and then going through the whole process of producing a fictitious design brief, spec, sketches, concepts, refinement, CAD and even production drawings to demonstrate not only your skill in sketching and modelling, but more importantly your design thinking and creativity. Do this for a number of products/systems etc..

That's what I'm doing anyway.

Hope this has helped and I'd be interested to know what you end up doing.

Cheers,

Paul

agree with Paul, try to build your own portfolio, learn sketching, make the portfolio graphically very interesting to watch / read, and tell about your designs with graphics: if you have a great idea or solution, do not only make sketches of the product, but also graphical scenario's of the products' use, maintenance, lifecycle, etc. so that the reader gets quickly why it is innovative and creative.

You'll definitely want to do some of your own creative industrial design projects. Household items and electronics are a good start. Just have fun with it. You'll want to get a digital sketch pad. This one is my favorite: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HGBEYS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005HGBEYS&linkCode=as2&tag=1982-20 and Adobe Photoshop. Create your 3D model, then sketch over it to give it that industrial design look.