Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Solid Model To Wire Frame, Thicken The Wires, Rapid Prototype "art"?

I have a client that wants to take an existing part, convert it into "wires", then thicken each wire, and 3d print the result to get a delicate, "art" version of the part printed right next to the real one.

Anybody have any ideas?

Would be easier if I knew the file format? STL? OBJ? etc

Pretty easy in 3ds Max, you would simply apply a Lattice modifier to the the part if it was made in a poly modeller... you could import the part and play around with the edge loops.

As shown here: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-9D61922D-9155-4DB6-A259-1B800C49CBC6.htm,topicNumber=d30e86275

Or in Solidworks you could use the spline on surface tool, sketch whatever forms you want, and then sweep a profile along the spline making sure not to merge results then hide/remove the original part...

Sorry if none of this is useful to you,

Good luck

Yeah, that's really, really, really labor intensive. I'm using Solidworks btw. I was just wondering if there was some method to take a donut, and somehow convert it into this:

tumblr_m269zcOrX71qeqbquo1_500.jpg

Old thread but I've made a ton of things like that for a client of mine. It was quite some time ago so I forget what software he was using. I do remember though that it was certainly very labor intensive. I don't think you'll have luck with a software tool to do the desired change for you.