Photo

Should I Go Back To Uni And Finish My Id Degree?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 unified333

unified333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I am in Melbourne, Australia.

4 years ago I left uni only having completed half of my industrial design degree. I have worked for a manufacturing company since then doing their CAD stuff but no design as such.

The company I work for is at risk of going under and I have realised that without a formal qualification, it will be very difficult for me to get a job. I am considering going back to uni next year to complete my degree. I have a part time business and a working fiancée, so my finances won’t be an issue.

I still really enjoy design and I do regret leaving uni, but I need someone in the profession to advise me if it is worth going back to school as a 27 year old.

How is the ID job market in general (or more specifically, Australia)? I check the job boards now and then and it seems that 5 years experience will get you about AUD$60-70k and a management role AUD$90-120k, does this seem about right to you?

I realise many people are designers for the love of it, and that’s fine by me. I just want to know if it is worth pursuing.

Thank you very much for your time, I hope you can help me.

Cheers, guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store