• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 breakbeat12

breakbeat12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the different between inclusive design and universal design. The only difference to my understanding is that inclusive design doesn't focus on age or disability as much as universal design. I'm not even sure if that's right. Any help appreciated.

#2 jimmykebab

jimmykebab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • At:Moorland Plastics

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, I've been reading up a lot on this, the lines do seem a bit blurred. But I think inclusive design doesn't have to serve everyone, it's more like simplification, but then some people's more complex needs aren't being met. I.e. ipod shuffle vs touch.
Is there such a thing as a non-profit injection moulding company?
Plastic Injection Moulding

#3 designworks

designworks

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Inclusive design targets the demands for the usability of products so that it can be easily used by as many people as possible. A good example of this washing machines that are designed to have braille markings. Smart phones with virtual assistants which can be very helpful for users that have problem reading since a text message can be read and reply can be recognized, typed and sent by the virtual assistant on a smart phone. Universal design is considered as a transgenerational design.

#4 generatewhatsnext

generatewhatsnext

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:architecture, industrial artifacts, sports cars, auto-X, tennis, DIY, real estate
  • At:Generator, inc.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for asking a very important question - and one that can always use some clarification!

Universal Design is a very broad objective where the goal is to enable the abilities of everyone when thinking through the inevitable uses and interactions of a product. There are sub-categories of design that have, in the past, been efforts toward the goal of Universal Design, but most of those sub-categories (transgenerational, accessible, global, etc) came about as a result of specific user needs. After decades of design refinement and the ever-merging sharing of communication, Universal Design has come about as the ultimate goal for designing a product for people.

The link below is a presentation we first gave in 2002 to students and the design staff of Black & Decker. It's significance and importance has only grown stronger since. Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

http://dl.dropbox.co...rsal_design.pdf
Best Regards,
Scott

Generator
Innovation for product, experience and communication
M: 410.627.5552 / F: 314.228.1563 / skype: generatewhatsnext

generatewhatsnext.com
Follow us on Twitter
Connect with us at LinkedIn

#5 bowlofnoodle

bowlofnoodle

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

It is really similar and depends on where it is used.

To me inclusive design is to design a product to accommodate to the 90 percentile and to use Anthropocentric data. I was actually studying exchange at NCSU - Universal Design Centre. And the class was focus on design product considering ergonomics and about using the data. Designing hand grips, handles and things like that. It did not favor project that just looking at a different way of doing.

Where as Universal Design to me is design, the solution could be anything. Looking at it holistically. It does not have to focus too much on ergonomics.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: universal, inclusive, design, accessible, accessibility

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: