Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Cristhian

Please Help Me To Improve My Portfolio!

Hey guys i just finished my first portfolio, please give me some feedback, so far, some friendas had told me that it has too much text...am i including too many details?? what do you think?? please help me!

http://issuu.com/steech/docs/cristhianserranoportfolio

Would be even better if you include more rough idea sketches development and rough mockups/prototyping process throughout your projects.

But in general pretty good work!

thanks!! i pay close attention to your comment, i try to show in my portfolio a sort of thinking process for every project, its kind of hard find pictures of those rough sketches and mockups but i try to put that to, thanks again!

Some really great looking images. I would agree though that there is a little too much writing. When i'm looking through a portfolio I would only read where the image really catches my eye and makes me want to find out more. I just found that sometimes the writing caught my eye before the image. But great job !!!

Cristhian,

I think think you portfolio is really well done. It's got someof the elements I think are important. Process, simple presentation, and solid skills.

I do wonder how 3 projects take up 62 pages.... I would like to see more examples. I'd also like to see products with more form. Either way I think this is working on a lot of levels. If you can show more projects in less pages, with this attention to communication I think it'll give viewers a better idea of your work.

Agree with all the above - perhaps too much text. I know from my own experience that you have so much information that you feel needs to be added to the portfolio to do justice to your efforts - but unfortunately it makes it even harder to communicate your ideas..... its good to keep people guessing and wanting to find out more about the detail!!

I'd like to say, I really like your work! ideas are very well considered. the Ironing board solution is for some reason one of my favourite. I think it's because, the traditional ironing board is so well established and so has hardly been challenged from a design point of view. Furthermore they're fairly ugly and tend to be locked away in cupboards and so turning it into a feature is very novel!

It makes me want to wander around my house with a sketch pad looking for domestic items/utilities that could be redesigned to also become a feature of the interior :)

B

I know from my own experience that you have so much information that you feel needs to be added to the portfolio to do justice to your efforts - but unfortunately it makes it even harder to communicate your ideas..... its good to keep people guessing and wanting to find out more about the detail!!

wow Brendan i think you're right, i will try to fix that and remove some blocks of text, i think that i made this mistake because i don't want to focus my portfolio on the things i do. i want to showcase my workflow and my problem solving skills rather than some product concepts.

thanks for you feedback!!

Thanks Cristhian,

I sometimes feel that the portfolio itself is as challenging as a design project in that you need to develop it to a specification much like a designed product. You're heading in the right direction when you say that you wish to showcase your workflow rather than showing product concepts. After all the portfolio is a tool to help sell you, not a sales pitch for your products.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do fine!