Sponsors:
Rapid Prototyping Services
dog crates nz
Ground Anchors and Piles
Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Fellow Furniture Designers, Which Cad Software Are You Using? Solidworks Or Autocad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: A question to all Furniture Designers (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Furniture Designers, which CAD software are you using?

1. Solidworks (16 votes [69.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.57%

2. AutoCAD (3 votes [13.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

3. Rhino 3D (4 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ken

Ken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • At:Singapore

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hi there,

For the past 8 yrs of my career, I had been on AutoCAD from version 2004, 2006 till now 2012.

Recently I had managed to have a copy of Solidworks 2012 at my office and been verse with it at a basic level, I start to wonder, which is actually better for Furniture Design?

Of course, I am aware that Solidworks 2012 is way full of functions and features when compared with AutoCAD but my only complain is that in Solidworks, I have to create my concepts parts by parts, literally before going to assembly mode.

Whereas in AutoCAD, I can just draft out the whole concept in a single layout.

Or is there a way to do so in Solidworks as well.

Please advise.

Cheers,

Ken

#2 vander

vander

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

Of course, I am aware that Solidworks 2012 is way full of functions and features when compared with AutoCAD but my only complain is that in Solidworks, I have to create my concepts parts by parts, literally before going to assembly mode.

Whereas in AutoCAD, I can just draft out the whole concept in a single layout.

Or is there a way to do so in Solidworks as well.

Its actually quite easy to build entire assemblies as parts, you can simply check or uncheck the merge box when creating new features, or only selectively add which parts will be joined, cut, or modified.

If it is not an overly complicated assembly I find this can actually be quicker, as you can use existing references to build additional parts without having to go back and forth between the assembly and individual parts. Also in this way I can also design multiple components that are referencing certain control dimensions that can easily be modified, which allows the whole model to update all at once.
  • waikit and Ken like this

#3 designworks

designworks

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

SolidWorks is actually said to better in terms of using it for furntiture designs. Geometry can be quickly accomplished with it as it easy to cut pieces accurately. There is a feature for joining woods, as well as for mechanical fasteners for assembling systems. I find weldments or stock wood of different sizes handy when it comes to creating frames. If you try to search online there are actually downloadable toolset you can use for woodworking which will make furniture design with this program easier.

#4 litmusbranding

litmusbranding

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Solidworks is good more furniture designers and below are advantages of it:

• Easy to Learn, Easy to Master
  • Provides Powerful Insight
  • Eliminates Prototypes, Sparks Innovation
  • Optimized for Speed and Accuracy
  • Enables Clear Communication
  • Unrivaled Support

• waikit likes this

#5 Space_Penguin

Space_Penguin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

I started using Interiors Pro recently and was a handy tool for furniture modelling and general interior design

http://www.microspot...rsPro/index.htm

#6 Simon Close

Simon Close

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

I've just started working at a furniture company and they are looking to invest in some new cad software, but don't know which would be the best! it looks as though most people are using solidworks, and this is obviously a very popular choice. Another one the company has mentioned is Vectorworks?! Any more help/suggestions into guidance towards the most suitable programme and why would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Si.

#7 KnightofCups

KnightofCups

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Solidworks all the way!  

1. Form - I find that AutoCad does not give nearly as much control over form.  I love the geometry drawings in SW, and with a good build in SW you can see how every part comes together and details that dont show up in a CAD drawing.  Rhino does support a superior tangency tool, but I've never found a real need for it, and I find the user experience a bit squishy compared to sw.   

2. Fasteners, cut/weld lists, drawings all connected.  Set up right you can just edit a project and have it automate all drawings etc.

3. Mechanincs - A properly set up tilt base assembly in SW will move as it does in real life.  Showing range of motion etc.

4. Stress tests - Its not all that hard to set up a load calculation check to see if a part will bend or break with different material properties.

and for rendering the built in guy is ok, but I prefer keyshot.

• waikit likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: