Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
RDVB1980

New Year New Portfolio - All Reviews Welcome

Hi,

Great work! Some varied projects. I personally would like to see more sketches. Also maybe show some more PS and Illustrator skills.

I really like the glue project- nicely done.

Also, maybe keep all images consistent- size and resolution.

Just out of curiosity what packages do you use for your 3d rendering?

Hi Amkad

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The problem is I do not have PS or Illustrator work related to the posts on the web site. Do you think I should create an entry listed as "Skills" or "Sketches" and post the varied work I have there?

Regarding the 3d rendering packages, I tend to use either Keyshot or Maxwell, depending on the time I have. Maxwell can generate nice images, but keyshot is very quick and if you play with it, it can also produce a nice outcome. I used to use Vray as well but stopped working with it since it became to slow on the previous release, but it is still one off my favourite rendering engines in terms of realistic looking images.

No worries, anytime.

It doesn't matter if you have work related to it. Its not a "problem" its an opportunity. If you have no work that is related, create some. Design something that you know will show off those specific skills. But not just for the sake of it. Make sure that those projects are just as good as your previous ones. I think the new entries will be a good idea. You need to show any potential employer your whole skill set and what you are capable of. There is no point in creating a portfolio which only shows that you're only good at one thing- you're shooting yourself in the foot before you've even sent off that application!

I have work in my portfolio which is pure PS or Illustrator- stuff that I have done in my spare time. It shows you actually enjoy using the packages and have fun along the way.

Am I right in thinking you model in Solid Works then take it into Key Shot, Maxwell or Vray?

I tend to model in SolidWorks, but sometimes I also use Rhino, or both. The glue packaging was initially done in SolidWorks and finished in Rhino for a few details. I can also use other 3D modeling tools, but I think this 2 are quick and easy to use, and they tend to be more and more the industry standard.

I will take your advice and the next posts will include more sketching and PS skills, but I think I also need to work a bit on how to present my research. I think it looks like thinks come out randomly, not based on thorough research, what you think?

When it come to a portfolio its a case of showing some nice considered images. But like I said before you have to show your skill set.

When you say your designs come out randomly I disagree. Lets take your glue project for instance. Those images are explicit in what your aim was with that project. You clearly wanted to re-establish how glue is used for a particular demographic. There is no need for loads of research here as the images are enough to show what you wanted to accomplish from the project. NB. No research need for this one.

I would say showing your though process is alot more important. How did you get to where you are with the end result and why? (research would come into this). This is a great deal harder to get right, and its down to you to show this. Some of my projects required so much analysis and thinking that its virtually impossible to get my thought process across until interview/meeting stage.

I would take a break from folio work. Maybe 2-4 weeks, sit back and relax and not even think about it. Then go back and have a fresh look at it. Ask yourself is it communicating what you want it to. Ask friends, family, colleagues for their opinion. People not in design, and ask them to tell you what they think your project is about. Don't settle with those are some nice images. Ask them straight up. What is this project about?!

Hope the above helps.