4 replies to this topic

#1 willdempsey

willdempsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • At:University of Manchester

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hi, I'm Will Dempsey. Pretty new to this site, been looking through some of the pages and I am massively impressed by the standard. I am currently in my third year of a Materials Science and Engineering course at Manchester University. I have always been interested in design but did not really appreciate the scope for a career in it. in the last couple of years I have become aware of the array of jobs in it and am extremely keen to head in that direction. The course I am currently on does not allow for much/if any creative thinking and I don't think it will lead directly into a design career.

My question is, what would be the best move for me to eventually make my way into the product design career area? Would any companies take me on as an apprentice in design with just a Material Science Degree? Is the anything I can do to make myself more likely to be taken on by a company etc.?

Thanks a lot for any advice

Will
  • OpellaGypewag and Kallersoliolf like this

#2 willdempsey

willdempsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Any advice would be great...

#3 vander

vander

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

My advise would be to finish your engineering course and then look into taking an industrial design course after that. Having a degree in material science and engineering plus an industrial design degree will put you way ahead of most designers.

I know it sounds like a lot of schooling, but it will be worthwhile in the end.

A lot of design studios specify that you need a degree in industrial design, however if you were to develop a strong portfolio of product designs which exhibit your ability to effectively design and create products, that would certainly help to increase your chances of getting into design.

Take a look a some of the portfolio's posted here or on coroflot.com under industrial design to get an idea of the necessary skillsets you would require in order to break into the design field.

Best of luck

#4 willdempsey

willdempsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thank you very much for the advice, massively helpful!
I am extremely keen to do an Industrial Design degree except for the £9000 fees. Does anyone know of companies sponsoring students through an industrial design course, and what's the best way to go about being selected for such a sponsorship?
Some of those portfolios look great, going to have to get practicing to get up to that level :s

Thanks again

#5 Creative Juice

Creative Juice

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hi, Hopefully these advice counts -

You don't have to have a day job to build a career on design, and I disagree that material science does not offer room for creativity. Robert Kiyosaki would have hated me for this, but you should finish your material science degree - you can build a career from that and there are no bars to limit your creativity about that. As for your design career, you can market your designs in the internet and start out your company and learn from there. You will most likely be starting from scratch but at least you will know your true capacity and no one will ever limit what you want to do.

At the end of the day, if you don't really like your course, start out a new. If you don't see any fulfillment, go quit and start with a course at design.
  • waikit likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Career, advice, Material Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store