Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
stesani

Rit Industrial Design

Hi,

I would just like to have some insight on RIT's I.D. curriculum. How is it like? Do they put a lot of emphasis on good sketching skills or do they do a lot of work in front of the computer (as in CAD monkeys)?

Thanks.

While I have not gone through their program, I have visited RIT several times (marrying an RIT alum) and seen much of their alumni work and they have a very solid program. I would say it is similar to many of the other "tech" focused programs (vs art focused programs) where there is a strong focus on all the basic skills, but also applying them to functional, real world products.

Rochester is also a nice city, despite the bitter cold and some areas that certainly may not be as nice as others, there is a lot of culture, a great musical scene, etc. As long as you can deal with the cold and are willing to learn some sign language (Rochester is one of the largest deaf communities in the US, as the National Technical Institute for the Deaf is part of RIT) it's a nice place to live.

Thanks for the info Cyberdemon! I certainly don't mind the cold; I've been living in a fairly wintery place the last three-four years. I'm glad to hear it has a very solid program (beyond what DesignIntelligence says.).