Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pacho

Design Tablets

Guest pacho

Having been using a design tablet now for while and wondered whether any one else had any coments on their performance compared to sketch pads and markers.

Thanks.....

Pacho

Guest JayVee
what do they do?

I'm assuming pacho means the 'graphics tablets' that you plug into computers to draw on screen, much like pen and paper.

I'm still very much in the learner stages of using a tablet - I haven’t actually bought one myself yet, I still *cough* "borrow" *cough* my girlfriends when I fancy a go. I still really struggle with them to be honest, but this would probably become more natural over a period of time. But, for the time being, I still prefer to draw on paper (pencil, biro, markers) and then scan the images into the computer, then manipulate them from there.

Guest DreaM

well, i have had a lot of experiences during the last year about graphic tablets. I used Wacon Cintiq which was amazing actually . To be able draw on the screen directly is amazing... I used to have it at work , but now i am off that place so i bought one for myself, not cintiz of course... It is intuos 3 and actually it is good enough. Also like a mouse it is comfortable. But still i would prefer to start on a piece of paper and then scan and work on it with tablet. Otherwise it is so artificial.........

Which ones do you use people ? I have A5 and it's not small, for me it's big enough to illustrate....

:P

Guest nate

hey - just bought an intous 2 6x8 - it's very different - but from what i've heard it takes about a week to get used to it.

got it for $229 Australian

I had a cheap tablet for years now and still I did not get the hang of it.

I would say its pretty hard to get use to.

Try get the biggest size you can. If its too small it is hard to produce accurate lines.

But yeah once you get the hang of it, should be pretty flexible to edit/undo and all that.

Guest kinvent

I have an intuous 3 6"x8"; sizewise it's fine. You'll find that with tablets, bigger isn't always better; I have been using a 12" x 12" tablet prior to my intuous 3, and found it clumsy at times.

You really only use the area that's proportional to your screen area.

KEY: Buy a tablet that is proportional to your screen dimensions.

Guest kinvent

Back to the main topic:

Tablet + software (e.g. zbrush, painter, photoshop etc.)

=infinite colors and effects, fine control of brush tip pressure; unlimited undos and upgradability. Environmentally friendly: creates no waste; cheap to operate and maintain. Virtual drawings do not fade or loose their color over time; as long as the data is intact.

Traditional medium: pen + paper = often involves expensive and ongoing costs; new paper will be need for redrafts and or modifications; redrafts can be frustrating and time consuming. Ink and paints will need replenishing as well! limited colors and effects -- not always predictable depending on the quality of pigment... not mentioning the fact that certain pigments are highly toxic.

Switch to digital: I believe it's the way of the future.

Guest Rainbow
i bought one for myself, not cintiz of course... It is intuos 3 and actually it is good enough. Also like a mouse it is comfortable. But still i would prefer to start on a piece of paper and then scan and work on it with tablet. Otherwise it is so artificial.........

Which ones do you use people ? I have A5 and it's not small, for me it's big enough to illustrate....

;)

the same for me, except mine's a6, and mine is a graphire 3 i think

i like to doodle so i find it very fun, and it only cost me about 60 quid