Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Removal Force

Designing an electrical product, battery powered. It recharges in a base, but the EE's want a lot of force on the contacts for the best electrical connection. It's to the point where the base, which really doesn't have much to it, lifts when you lift the handpiece. Is there any type of spec I can use here? I think the base should stay on the counter when you remove the handpiece, without holding it down.

There has to be numerous standards on this. These will numerically dictate the exact forces which the design should adhere to.

I'm also assuming it would be an international standard (ISO) as opposed to a national one, which you'd best look at. If you're a student, you should be able to access the standards for free, but if you're not - they'll cost ya! (rubbish isnt it) but there are many ways in which you can access them on a research basis. For instance, in the UK we have the British Library which houses an business and intellectual property department, which allows you to search for free.

Hopefully you'll have a similar facility nearer to you.

Hope that helps (or hasn't made the situation worse rather).

Bren