Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Emily Casey

Is My Design Problem Relevant?

I am designing a bed for my A Level project and dont know if my design problem is relevant. I personally think that putting a duvet into its cover is overly difficult and should be made quiker and more efficient, my teacher does not find this a problem but what do you think. Would you buy a bed or bed attachment that allowed you to clip on your cover and it put the duvet inside and smoothly spread it over your bed?

To me, this sounds like a classic case of a problem which isn't too sure of itself! To elaborate - yes I'd say its relevant, because it can be hassle and quite an effort to put a duvet cover on a duvet (especially a king size) - but is it that big a problem for people to want to buy a product which can help them. If the effort to put the duvet on is equal to the effort and cost of a product to assist - then probably not. But then that could be part of your design spec, already writing itself!

Also - perhaps its worth performing a case study, on the disabled, or elderly. I'd imagine that only having one limb to change a duvet is quite tricky - so a product, or implement to assist them is defiantly a good product idea - and commercially viable!

Happy hunting!

and remember - teachers aren't always right :)