Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cwaldo39

Creating 3D Figures From Your Renders?

Have you guys ever been involved with 3D printing? I know the technology exists -- printing scale models from designs -- from CAD and other 3D formats. Have you guys been involved with that? One of my team members did this a little while ago with a figurine. He made a man out of ABS plastic haha. What experience do you guys have?

3d printing you say?! well the technology has been around for quite some time now, and I suppose it all comes down to the medium in which you print on.

I used to work for a rapid prototyping company, which employed methods such as Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) and Stereolithorgraphy (SLA). Both processes fairly similar in their method - it's basically done by building cross sections up, of a part layer by layer (very thin layers.... 0.01mm minimum i believe). Imagine if you will, the 3d puzzles you can buy (which are made up for cross sections, layered on top of each other until you eventually get a complete 3d model). SLS basically sinters nylon powder, whereas SLA using a UV laser to cure liquid resin. You simply need to produce a 3d model of a part you want printed using off the shelf CAD software - you then convert to a .STL file - send it over to a company who do the printing, and they'll then dissect the model using the software associative with the machines. The process of printing something the size of your fist, could take as little as 4 hours, and you're not really constrained too highly with regards to the complexity of the 3D model (we always used to refer to the 'ship in a bottle' where we could actually sinter a sintered ship inside a sintered bottle).

Anyway no point boring you with more detail - you can do plenty of reading up on the processes.

Hope this has helped.