Product Design Forums
DigitalDignan

Vacuum Forming High Density Foam...

Hello,

As you can see from my post count this is my first post to the forum. I'm a designer living in Texas and I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I need some help finding the process below. I have searched the internet and this forum with no luck. Can someone tell me the correct name for this process? A lot of fly fishing boxes are made out of it. I have a zippered case designed Mark Newson for Quantas Airlines that is made like these. But I can't for the life of me find a supplier/manufacturer.

It is basically a high density foam with material attached to the front and back. It's pretty durable. I can bend it around and step on it and it pops back into shape. So it's not a rigid foam that is going to break. I'm assuming it's heated and vacuum formed but like I said I'm not sure exactly what the process is called so I haven't been able to find a manufacturer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Micah

Sims.pngFlambeau.png

LLBean.png

Those type of products are generally thermoformed (heat + vacuum like you mentioned) EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) foam, with a secondary material laminated to the surface (fabric, leather are all possible).