Jump to content
Product Design Forums

Vacuum Forming High Density Foam...

Recommended Posts



As you can see from my post count this is my first post to the forum. I'm a designer living in Texas and I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.


I need some help finding the process below. I have searched the internet and this forum with no luck. Can someone tell me the correct name for this process? A lot of fly fishing boxes are made out of it. I have a zippered case designed Mark Newson for Quantas Airlines that is made like these. But I can't for the life of me find a supplier/manufacturer.


It is basically a high density foam with material attached to the front and back. It's pretty durable. I can bend it around and step on it and it pops back into shape. So it's not a rigid foam that is going to break. I'm assuming it's heated and vacuum formed but like I said I'm not sure exactly what the process is called so I haven't been able to find a manufacturer.


Any help would be greatly appreciated.






Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those type of products are generally thermoformed (heat + vacuum like you mentioned) EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) foam, with a secondary material laminated to the surface (fabric, leather are all possible).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now


Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.