Brendan

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • At:Dyson

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Fantastic renderings.

Do you think it would fit in with the dyson brand? I cant see it personally but as a concept it could work. Do you really think dyson would approve of the styling? colour scheme? analyse their portfolio and their design ethos - it's more about providing simple design solutions to everyday problems. I don't see what problem this design solves. Dyson tend to address the consumer electronics market (vacuums, fans, hand-dryers) where as this is a motorbike - doesn't quite fit in the crowd. Then again apple used to make computers and not phones - and look where they are in the market now!

The concept of using air to power the vehicle is quite interesting and worth investigating. Weather it's more efficient then a motor, i dont know, but you can definitely argue that its less maintenance as there are less mechanical parts (similar to why air driven tools are better then electric driven tools).

Also bear in mind that road vehicles are almost totally driven by standards, which almost dictate how they function and how they interact with the road and other road users - and quite rightly so!

From an industrial design view - very nice idea indeed and a fantastic concept visual.
From a mechanical design view - total engineering nightmare!.........but then that's part of the fun I suppose!

good work!

bren

#17 Mettise

Mettise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I'm very impressed by your detail work on a few of the items you have presented in this forum.

#18 justin caise

justin caise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:02 AM

I've immediately come up with two accessory items for it (Dibs on pattens and Intellectual property for these if the Dyke goes reality)
1. The Dyke Dock. A prop to park it on when it's not powered.
2. The Dyke Dam. A screen to keep small children from getting sucked in and "Multiplied".

You know - if you get me goin...

Very impressive renders by the way.

#19 Kieron-Scott

Kieron-Scott

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • At:ADzero - The Bamboo Smartphone

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Nice CAD work, but the word Dyke, when spoken in English could be mistaken for Dike; a derogatory slang word for Lesbian. This may be worth considering if your designing for an English company!?
Kieron-Scott
kieron-scott.com

1st Class Honors in BA Product Design
MDX London

Head Deigner - AD
ADzero - The Bamboo Smartphone

#20 idesign1

idesign1

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

Yeah, it's one thing to try to be provocative with your names, another to be intentionally inflammatory.

I would spend more time refining your designs then worrying about your name. If someone sent me that in a portfolio for a job interview I'd probably throw it into my trash. This includes your "Bulls***" and other concepts.

You would throw this, as part of a folio in thi bin? you must be an imposter, or really stupid. I am thinking both! There is much to say about the issue of physics. But what a beutifull rendition. Well done! you made it work for me. In the bin.............!!!!??????

Hope you are not a design senior!
  • Space_Penguin likes this

#21 idesign1

idesign1

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

I love this idea. I think with a lot of inginuity and a long discussion with the Dyson engineers this could actually work. T, it is likes a bird

Done some quik math. The amount of energy required to compensate for the downward force on the front "air multyplier" on initiation of an emergency stop, would be about the force of a harrier jump jet, at least in the first few milliseconds! and no time to "spool up" It would require INSTANTANIOUS...... MAX.......MASSIVE power, just to keep the thing horizontal when you hit the brakes. The basic physical premise is rubbish. But the skills requuired to sell such an improbality is clear.
Most design institutions give "what if breifs" all the time!

Great work man!

Latest thought I did not factor in primary inertia gryscopes, perhaps?

Hmmmm? ^_^
Maybe a "ride by wire" (as opposed to fly by wire) management system
Hmmmm? :rolleyes: Definately!

#22 Adam Winters

Adam Winters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

This is neat!

#23 A.Lotfy

A.Lotfy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

impressive great effort, what is the software you used for the cad and the drawing

#24 Mohammad R Shojaie

Mohammad R Shojaie

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Music, Riding Motorbike

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Long time no see guys :)

I see a real improvement in your works Imran. I like the idea. Keep doing the great job.

#25 imran_othman

imran_othman

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

#26 nachiket007

nachiket007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Design

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Really good concept. May not be the effective transport device, but, I think it is very much feasible. Look at similar concepts like Segway by Dean Kaman.

http://www.segway.co...ividual/models/

Initailly even segway design would have faced similar arguments but they did it using a Fwd-Bwk inclination response sensor and a processor to move wheel forward and backward to avoid falling. I also believe that if some one try using Gyroscope concept, this can 100% work.

#27 vander

vander

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

This looks like a fun project, and you have some nice renderings, but the idea is simply not practical in the slightest.

Quite simply a motor connected to a wheel is many times more efficient than any kind of propeller or a ducted design, even with an "air multiplier" (which actually does nothing to increase the thrust created, it simply allows a greater volume of lower pressure air to flow through). The amount of thrust that is necessary to even get you moving forward on a 400lb+ bike plus the additional weight of the rider would be tremendous, not to mention very loud. Essentially you would need the thrust equivalent to that of an ultralight aircraft, and it would create about the same amount of noise as well.

In addition a single wheel design isn't very practical either, this has been attempted many times, and even with gyroscopic stabilization they have never really worked out too well. Even the UNO has now been made into a kind of 3 wheeler in order for it to be practical at any kind of speed.

#28 mizbot

mizbot

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

Lol Great Concept ! really good mix of ideas and great name too! great play!
My portfolio> www.mizbot.co.uk

#29 imran_othman

imran_othman

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

thanks for the comments, guys....
appreciate it!

#30 MadMartin

MadMartin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

i like the look alot

wouldnt wanna see the outcome if it crashed into someone. i think it just might kill them =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: