#1 mart2010uk

mart2010uk

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • At:Staffordshire Univeristy

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hey all, sent out lots of CVs and Portfolios and had no replies.. Anyone any ideas on how to improve these? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Attached File  Martin Harwood portfolio July 2011.pdf   588.34KB   83 downloads
Attached File  Martin Harwood CV july 2011.pdf   272.12KB   45 downloads

Or online at www.hypercubegame.com/portfolio.swf

Thanks in advance :(
  • Lypevole likes this

#2 mart2010uk

mart2010uk

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

Well strange enough, managed to get a few replies now. Still feedback would be appreciated..

#3 JoeMattley

JoeMattley

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • At:AESSEAL PLC

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

I'll start off with the CV, and please, don't take this as harsh, it's intended to be advice in order for you to get a job :D The CV, is like reading an essay. Use bullet points, it breaks things up a bit, only highlight your key skills, skills which your future employer would want to see.

Remove "Martin Harwood, Curricular Vitae", we know it's a CV you've told me your attaching it!

Through my time at university I have developed numerous skills. I have adapted my current skills to allow me to work efficiently either individually or as a member of a team in the design industry. I have learnt to manage multiple ongoing projects, which has helped me to manage my time effectively. Since sixth form I have been passionate and have a positive work ethic for product design, I am keen to improve on my current skills which I believe would be beneficial in many ways. I have good time management and pride myself on being able to keep too a deadline whilst ensuring my work is at a high standard.

This paragraph is very, generic. I know you went to university, you've told me :D You want this to be no more than 4 lines, telling me what skills you have and what you can offer me. Tell me if you have those mechanical skills, concept skills etc. Tell me about your design skills, time keeping and being passionate I can get from reading through your CV and looking at your portfolio.

Your a designer, maybe try a new approach and think outside the business box. Think outside what is normal for a CV. You have 8 seconds to get someones attention, or it is going in the bin/not being printed out. The role I am in currently, someone sent a CV similar to that (wasn't yours) and because we couldn't find the skills we wasn't interested.

I have done a quick Google search to bring up some other design CVs, have a look at them, and take ideas from them to make your CV more snappy and jumpy!

http://www.embryo.ie... Ian Walton.pdf
http://media.smashin...ris_spooner.jpg
http://s3images.coro...9c0Xd1afEVT.jpg

If you have to compete with ones with colour, and broken up nicely, then your going to struggle. Best bet is, go back to the drawing board, you have all the information you need to make your CV.
  • waikit and GonzoInventor like this

#4 mart2010uk

mart2010uk

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, very useful. Ok i will work on shortening some of the text. Just like to add, I uploaded the wrong CV as it should be my creative version here "http://www.hypercube...nharwoodcv.pdf" and this is the one I have been sending out.

Thanks again.

#5 litmusbranding

litmusbranding

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hi Mart,

I really like Hypercube Game. Very interesting game.
  • GonzoInventor likes this

#6 GonzoInventor

GonzoInventor

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

I like the hypercube game too. Looks like it could be fun to play.

Hi, I'm Duncan. I run a small creative studio in Haarlem where I design things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store