Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
robprickett

Serious Portfolio Review Needed - Hit Hard.

Portfolio: http://www.robprickett.com/

Need a serious review. Please do not hold back.

Shooting for Junior/Associate Designer positions. I'm getting inquiries and interviews but falling short on the hire. Before I completely call it bad interviewing skills (which is probably a factor) I want to hear perspective from professionals.

Please do not reply unless you have at least 2 years experience OR have hiring power.

Thanks!

Rob

Rob,

Overall your portfolio materials and presentation iare actually pretty good, but in my opinion you've made a glaring omission on the ideation side. There isn't enough sketching, or enough materials that tell a story of "I had 20 ideas, and here is how I filtered them down to the final solution and why it is best". That may be stuff you have in your full portfolio, but I'd recommend putting at least 1 or 2 more of your best samplings on there of your sketching. If it doesn't really exist or the sketchings are too quick and dirty, consider revising or redrawing them to at least tell that story.

I get that you can pump some CAD, put out some renderings, but what I'd really want to see is "this was the complex problem, and this is how I got there" and tell me that story in a visual way (sketching, concept models, etc).

Understanding your process is key. You've shown a little bit of process but mostly it's only a quick snapshot of different elements and not the complete story. You don't need to tell that story for every project, but pick your deepest project (preferably not the exhibit or POP stuff as I find that those stories tend to be more about aesthetics only) and go deep into your process.

On the shampoo bottle for example, you show some nice bottle sketches but it's a very broad sample and then bam - final solution. It would be nice to know if that concept was just picked at random, or by a client, or show how you evolved it.

Now if that stuff is in your full portfolio and you've presented it, I'd think about how you're interviewing and selling yourself. Show yourself off in the best light possible and how you've brought those thought processes to your work.

Overall nice work and a good, clean site layout though. Keep at it.

Cyberdemon,

I see what you're saying; Glad I could get your advice. Would you have any reference material for me to look at, like a good example of a convincing presentation illustrating what you described? - I know I've seen some samples of this, but never in the context of quality drawings, usually just badly drawn primitives with slight variations.

I would be interested in what your opinion would be if I was applying at Motorola; what holes would you poke if I was interviewing to design electronics?

Also, I did just finish up this project; I wonder if it adds credibility along the lines of what you're talking about:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Cafe-Sportster/2011459 (Click to Enlarge Images)

Thanks a ton!

-Rob

Rob,

Overall your portfolio materials and presentation iare actually pretty good, but in my opinion you've made a glaring omission on the ideation side. There isn't enough sketching, or enough materials that tell a story of "I had 20 ideas, and here is how I filtered them down to the final solution and why it is best". That may be stuff you have in your full portfolio, but I'd recommend putting at least 1 or 2 more of your best samplings on there of your sketching. If it doesn't really exist or the sketchings are too quick and dirty, consider revising or redrawing them to at least tell that story.

I get that you can pump some CAD, put out some renderings, but what I'd really want to see is "this was the complex problem, and this is how I got there" and tell me that story in a visual way (sketching, concept models, etc).

Understanding your process is key. You've shown a little bit of process but mostly it's only a quick snapshot of different elements and not the complete story. You don't need to tell that story for every project, but pick your deepest project (preferably not the exhibit or POP stuff as I find that those stories tend to be more about aesthetics only) and go deep into your process.

On the shampoo bottle for example, you show some nice bottle sketches but it's a very broad sample and then bam - final solution. It would be nice to know if that concept was just picked at random, or by a client, or show how you evolved it.

Now if that stuff is in your full portfolio and you've presented it, I'd think about how you're interviewing and selling yourself. Show yourself off in the best light possible and how you've brought those thought processes to your work.

Overall nice work and a good, clean site layout though. Keep at it.

For examples check out the suitcase sketches here:

http://www.idsketching.com/sketchbook/spencer-nugent/

You can see the sketches are still pretty loose, but there are a ton of different ideas and you can really start to see how someones thought process works - and that's key.

Those new sketches you've shown are nice - would love to see more if there were any. If you want to add some material for fun, consider just doing a week of sketching to explore an idea.

If you were interviewing the biggest thing I would want to see is your process, so seeing more of that material is key. It's clear you've got a good skill set - I think you just need to craft your portfolio in a way that really tells that story.

I see; Maybe I've been hesitant of appearing sloppy - I find most of those pages (Nugent's) to be just that (yet I love IDSketching.com)- Ive got tons of really rough sketches like this in notebooks, but I guess I felt they looked to rough to be presented.

Perhaps I will revise my perspective on the matter. Let me see what I can put together in the next week or two; I'll follow up when I have something formatted to run past you.

Thanks,

Rob

For examples check out the suitcase sketches here:

http://www.idsketching.com/sketchbook/spencer-nugent/

You can see the sketches are still pretty loose, but there are a ton of different ideas and you can really start to see how someones thought process works - and that's key.

Those new sketches you've shown are nice - would love to see more if there were any. If you want to add some material for fun, consider just doing a week of sketching to explore an idea.

If you were interviewing the biggest thing I would want to see is your process, so seeing more of that material is key. It's clear you've got a good skill set - I think you just need to craft your portfolio in a way that really tells that story.

It's not about the quality of the sketch - it's about ideation, volume, and quantity. Having some good ideas mixed in (not just form variations) is what I look for in peoples sketches.

Remember if you were in a brainstorming session, you wouldn't have the time to sit there and tightly polish each drawing - but you'd want to communicate the ideas quickly and effectively. Those loose sketches are tight enough to communicate that, and the volume shows that there are a lot of ideas floating around to solve the problem.

Right now nothing in your portfolio shows that you've gone through that thought process, even though you have as you said.

If you have a lot of those in your notebook and they aren't up to a quality you think is appropriate, then pick a project and spend some time reworking some of the sketches - but do it in big volume and be honest about keeping them as quick sketches.

Remember your portfolio is about your WHOLE set of skills, so if I see that you can do 1 rendering really tightly I get that you can do more of that. But you haven't shown much in the way of those ideation sketches and that's the #1 value you can bring to a design team.