Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Littledave

Cad Software?

I am about to go into my third year at university. I believe I have a good understanding of a variety of design programs including Solidworks, 3DS Max, Photoshop, CAD etc... But after looking at potential employers and points of contact. I have found that a lot of people are interested in candidates who can use Rhinocerous. It is not a program I have used previously. I would just like a bit of info.

Is it worth learning this program?

What are the benefits?

Has anyone who has used this program got any examples of work.

Any information would be fantastic.

Thanks

Dave

Rhino is a NURBS surfacing tool. It is not a bad program to know and in my opinion has one of the lowest learning curves for 3D software. If you already know Solidworks it shouldn't take much to learn the basics.

The main benefit frankly is price. Rhino is very affordable and capable which makes it very popular at many smaller design firms who would rather pay $1000 rather than the $5000-60000 USD that a seat of Alias would cost.

You should be able to get any examples of work on their website. It's very popular in certain industries due to certain tools as well.

Solidworks is the easiest Mid Range 3D CAD to use for Product Design.

If you are more interested in just graphics, then the above post. You need to decide, do you want 3D CAD, or a 3D Modeler.

You dont mention your degree or what you are intending to study, which is unhelpful. But in engineering and product design, then you should be thinking of 3D CAD (solidworks), but if its graphics only the choice is yours.