Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Crichton

Sketch Challenge July 2011

Welcome to the new sketch challenges

These challenges are to test your basic sketch and rendering skills. These challenges will also be run one month at a time, with the winner of each challenge receiving a link from their final work to their portfolio. You won't need a portfolio to start the challenge but having one has it's benefits in terms of exposure. The challenges will also be based on current items and not something you've designed. To enter, reply to this post with a photo (something from Goolge is acceptable) sketch and/or render of the topic of the month.

This months challenge is a 6 pack of eggs in packaging. The container needs to be viewed as open so you'd see the eggs..

This is not a competition but there will be a poll at the end of each month for the best sketches to determine a winner of the month.

Any questions please ask.

Good Luck

Crichton

Well if you prefer other types it's fine but the idea is chicken eggs. I've noticed alot of perspective problems in the posts within the forum and this would be the ideal chance to practise, on organic shapes within a structured modular packaging container.

Just remember to post a photo of the item you are sketching. This is only our starting point, from here on out the challenges will become more advanced

Well, I realy didnt understand the whole concept of the competition. Could you be please be little more clear & specific??

thanks

S!ddh

you want us to sketch a packaging concept or an idea with the eggs? Im not sure i understood the concept clearly.

and what are the other details?

can u expand on the topic?

Since it is current, existing items, it might be be better for the poster Crichton, to have a few examples of the challenge. Simply link some photos so people can attempt to draw it. That way its less work for participants which will be easier to participate.

The concept or idea is to test your drawing skill, in this case an existing egg carton or other type of packaging which exists and in the carton there must be eggs... Here's an example of what should be drawn but you may use your own example/product but then we'll need you to post a picture of the example you used (to match up lines/proportions/perspective). There's no design work here, purely sketching.

egg-carton.jpg

Thanks Sketchyd for the idea

Um so i guess im like the first one to post my sketch here~ its also my first sketch and first post at this forum~ so...hope you guys will like it! Its a pencil sketch and i finished it in a sketch book before taking a pic with my phone... the pics kinda poor quality hope you wont mind...

post-51852-0-04994000-1309589672.jpg

i know it looks ugly~ like 6 potatoes in a paper box or sth... the shades are totally off and the proportions are not exactly right... i get it~ its just sth i draw in 10 minutes with a pack of eggs outta the fridge on the table; if i take any longer the eggs might go bad...

Hi, this is my 2nd sketch. I use my first sketch (did rough perspective lines) as overlay. Both of them took me a total of 10-15 mins. post-50091-0-27356100-1309608841.jpg

so you did this all with ball point? go rendering; i wish the eggs wont break in such boxes...

Well done guys, looking good!

Will; the two parts that raise above the eggs in the middle look a little rectangular, or is that just the photo? Good work though!

1001sketches; looks good, could you perhaps try render in color? Maybe only to the packaging to make the closest point stand out more, to make it pop off the page. Just a thought.

Off to a good start guys

@Chrichton; i knew that part is outta shape but rectangular? well i thought they look like pyramids...anyway perhaps ill make a different sketch and take a pic with camera not phone~~

Will

It might also be the rendering?? The right side of the parts looks larger than the left, which looks much narrower. It makes it seam perhaps like it's top area tapers from a rectangular shape.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.