Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
kricc

Flying Scotsman

Hi.

I'm new, and I would like to show you a 3d model of the Flying Scotsman Locomotive, I made using Rhino 4 and V-ray. I spent around a week making it, during studies. I used photo references mainly, and some basic measurements, including wheel sizes, rail gauge, overall length, height and width.

All in all I am quite happy with it, but I did find some inaccuracies after I finished it.

Feedback appreciated. Constructive criticism welcome.

post-51753-0-85810700-1308659628.jpg

post-51753-0-43998000-1308659653.jpg

post-51753-0-70251900-1308659664.jpg

post-51753-0-38080600-1308659671.jpg

post-51753-0-06761900-1308659677.jpg

post-51753-0-07132700-1308659682.jpg

Very cool! I think modeling a train would be fun, although since it's mainly solid modeling, not particularly challenging. What tips/tricks did you discover doing something this complex?

Thanks.

Well, breaking up the model into manageable segments is a must, however I did find that I worked with the whole locomotive in the initial phase to cross reference points and parts. After I had a fairly accurate basic model, I added all the small details which makes a huge difference in the end. Also mirroring these helps the process along nicely. This model ended up being 77 megas, so saving often is a good idea, and hiding parts that are not worked on helps. One thing I found constantly slowing me down was adding fillets, specifically because I used different fillets for different parts, and I did not take notes of the size of fillets on certain parts, having to come back from time to time to have the same specs.

Let's see a real render in Keyshot or something, that makes it look large! Make sure to futz with the perspective to it looks huge and imposing, too! :)

My school only has V-ray or Rhino's default renderers installed and I don't know much about either. Thank for the tip though. I might get back to it.

I haven't really used either, but something with an environment and dramatic lighting with lots of perspective would be great. You could even do some post processing in PS and give it some steam and moisture. :)

I found the general measurements and the sizes of the wheels, and a couple of nice photos from front and side views. Then, I opened up a side view in Photoshop, duplicated the wheels (of which measurements I knew) and placed these next to each other to have a rough idea of the distances. So, for example, the locomotive's length fits 9 big wheels, the cabin is 1.5 times the big wheel, and so on. After this it was all about eye-balling the and comparing features to each other.