3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hello!

I am an electrical and computer engineer from Greece and I was given an offer for the Intergratde Product Design MSc in Brunel University. I was always drawing and sketching and I though that this would be a good combination with engineering.

But what about a job after? Looking to the ads, I conclude that most of the designers must have a mechanical and not an electrical backround. I want to do my dream and study what I really like, but I would also like to find a job after that!

So, what is your opinion? Any similar experiences?

Thank you very much!

#2 ID2011

ID2011

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • At:TU Delft

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

I think knowledge in these fields would be a good thing as a designer. I did 2 years of electronic and electrical engineering before doing a bacherlors in product design. The electronics really gave me an advantage especially when it came to developing interactive prototypes. Also, why not look into more interaction orientated courses? I'm currently doing a masters in Design for Interaction at TU Delft in the Netherlands and it's a great course. However, if it is CAD modelling and manufacturing orientation you are after, integrated product design would be the way to go. Actually at the moment, there is a girl on exchange here from the IPD course at Brunel! She seems to enjoy it!

#3 Grace Locke

Grace Locke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

This new course aims to meet this industrial demand by integrating technology, management, ergonomics, marketing, business and design methods to produce highly qualified and sought after designers able to cope with the challenges the global economy presents. Participants will engage with advanced practical knowledge and skills in product design as well as benefit from established, internationally respected research groups with expertise and experience in scientific developments

#4 Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

Thank you for your replies, I think they were encouraging! I geto to the conclusion that the Master can give you some knoledge, but the orienation you will follow, so to take advantage of your knoledge, is always on your hand.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: