Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
JoeMattley

Wave - Secure Modular Bicycle Parking

This is final piece of university work, I have posted it on my BEhance, Coroflot and my blog (work in progress in terms of a online portfolio)

364653_q63Vx4Y1cnSH13Wt0AlXGlV5Z.jpg

364653_rlrr_Fy8fDRkqkuSiNXBlgRJC.jpg

364653_aHEixEYYJaI4pJgQNxA7AFWbL.jpg

364653_GbCCivZU2fTYeaWHCuopcvMiW.jpg

What does everyone think?

(Not much I can do about terms of improvement for this project, but for future ones!)

I have estimated the rough cost per bicycle for your 'average' install (9 bikes, 1 parking space). The cost would be £550 per bicycle, compared with the cost of it's nearest product on the market, a bicycle locker, which costs £600 - 1100 and these take up more space.

I think it is an interesting idea, and I appreciate it. But, it is leaning towards more expenses, more complexity, and more rider input to attach the bike in the position. Not all old people will love to joggle the bike with grocery basket attached. It doesn`t save urban space, and would probably not work in a gazillion bike laden Amsterdam . Think of something else that these booths could have a usage for,that would justify their installment.

In my opinion there is way too much visible impact on the surrounding environment. The aesthetic sensibility looks cold and obtrusive. Kind of stands out like a sore thumb. The idea is nice but what can you do to open it up a little? Individual pods with gaps in between the installation to see whats on the other side maybe? Minimize the plastic wall and closed surfaces? Just a thought. Also swingin up might present a hazard with either pinch points or individuals getting bonked on the head. Can they swing in from the side? How tall would you have to be to raise it all the way up to the point that it doesnt fall back down? Is there a gearing system to keep it fixed based on how much it is lifted? As mentioned before I like the concept but the execution needs some refinement ;)

Why not take the vertical portion of the design and bolt that to existing structures? Part of the problem with current bike systems is that they take up way too much horizontal surface area similar to what has happened with parking lots. Bolt the roll on frame in your image to the side of buildings, around light poles, attached to trees? I say that with the utmost respect for nature of course, you know...roll up your bike and stand it vertical approach eliminating the visible impact somewhat and minimizing cost of installation. Just some thoughts....

Thanks for the comments everyone, I probably should have explained the design a bit more. Just a quick point with the swing down lock, you can't see it very well on the exploded diagram, but there is a spring assist inside the hinges using a powerful torsion spring to give the harness almost a neutral weight. As for the old people using the design, my view is, you can't please everyone with design, if you try, it becomes a compromise (therefore rubbish) and as it is aimed at commuters, old people that can't manoeuvre a bike probably wouldn't be using it.