#1 MPwr

MPwr

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I like shapes

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

Project recently was to design a piece of office furniture for the company Alphason, heres my final concept, crits welcome!

Posted Image

#2 Freek

Freek

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Design, Construction, Art, Multimedia

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Renders and shape look nice.

You mention as a feature "Effective joining methods" but what are they?
Did you think of integrating some sort of cable management?
And what are the height of the table top and the bottom of the laptop shelf? Is there sufficient room for you legs?

#3 MPwr

MPwr

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I like shapes

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

Renders and shape look nice.

You mention as a feature "Effective joining methods" but what are they?
Did you think of integrating some sort of cable management?
And what are the height of the table top and the bottom of the laptop shelf? Is there sufficient room for you legs?

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I didn't mention that part of the brief was that the product had to cost under £200 for the consumer, so "Effective joining methods" refers to the use of a dovetail joint to make the product look like it would cost more than it actually does.

I did think about addressing the wire management problem in the development phase but thought it would detract from the overall look of the product which is very "clean" and simple. Plus as a Laptop desk you wouldn't necessarily need wires unless you are on charge (haha poor excuse I know :P)

And the height to the canvas laptop shelf underneath is around 700mm (850mm is height of the desk top) so there is no worry in terms of getting your legs under.

#4 tom_milford

tom_milford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Big problem here is that the desk wheels cannot slide under the table, so you'd have to lean too far when typing on your laptop.

Nice renders though.

#5 PhilipAppleton

PhilipAppleton

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

I agree with Tom - people shouldn't work like that - it is bad for your posture - also how does the keyboard shape pull out? I do really like this though it has good potential

#6 Brendan

Brendan

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • At:Dyson

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

Great concept! and visual to suit!

First thing I noticed as well was the issue with not being able to tuck the base of the chair under the table - and as Philip stated, it will encourage terrible posture. Ergonomics go hand in hand with aesthetics & function in this area I'd say (well aesthetics holding one hand and function holder the other - just to pointlessly elaborate! :) )

One other issue - the bottom left area - some serious issue here of the legs splaying, and the whole table rocking forwards and backwards. need some bracing running front to back to oppose that movement. Especially with books directly above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: