Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
sergio

Rotate Tool: Rhino Vs Alias

I was a Rhinoceros user passed to Alias in the last year.

Alias is great, better than rhino in many things but there is one thing that I always miss from rhino: the precision of its transformation tools and snaps.

In rhino the Rotate tool allow you not only to choose the center of rotation but also a point FROM where to move the objetct and a point TO where bring the first reference point.

In Alias instead you can just rotate roughly with your mouse hoping that your hand has been precise enough to bring the object to the point you were wishing for... or of course you can enter a precise angle value... but is quite useless if you do not know the angle needed.

Sometime is possible to cope to this lack with the Place tool but in other cases this tool is useless.

I am going to show an example of what I mean so that you can give me tips on how to achieve the same result I was having with Rhino.

Moving CVs I will create a soft Hexagon starting from a Cylinder Surface

introxo.th.jpg

In Alias when I have to bring the closer couple of CVs back to a position that is centered to the middle of the previous wider couple of CVs I will never be really precise because the movement has to be made by hand.

The only way to be precise would be to use a locator but it is quite annoyng to use this process every time.

LOOK AT THIS IMAGE FOR BETTER UNDERSTAND:

aliasg.th.jpg

With Rhino instead I can simply choose a center of rotation (like the pivot in Alias) then I select the first reference point (the middle point between the two CVs I want to move) and then I select any point on the line that I know is passing throught the center of rotation and the point I want my CVs to be. It is as quick and precise as it is difficult to replicate in Alias.

LOOK AT THIS IMAGE FOR BETTER UNDERSTAND:

rhinoh.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How is possible that such a high level program does not allow to do such a simple operation?

For some kind of work a rotate tool like rhino would make me save loads of time and it would make me reach a better precision.

And the same thing happen with the scaling tool. The Transform Curve tool can help with curves, but not with the rest.

If I understand correctly:

You are defining an angle with a curve (in this case you are using that curve to determine the midpoint) that you want your rotation to pass through.

You want to know exactly how to rotate those CV's so they line up with the curve.

You said it is annoying to use the locator, but locators (if snapped to curve) contain construction history. Therefore if you are building a radial object like this and need to generate multiple angles just build 1 locator and adjust the angle of that curve. The angle locator will update automatically and show you your new angle. Now just pick your CV's and input the rotation using the angle you just determined. This will be exactly precise and can be done multiple times all by using 2 simple 1 degree curves with a locator.

Now just pick your CV's and input the rotation using the angle you just determined. This will be exactly precise and can be done multiple times all by using 2 simple 1 degree curves with a locator.

Yes.. that is the way then... but still it would be so much quicker with a rotation tool like Rhino.. 3 clicks and you can get what in Alias require 3 tools and many clicks to achieve.

look also for the scaling tool, so easy with rhino:

bah.jpg

with alias the only way to do that would be with the Closest Point Deviation locator (to use between the tip of the hexagon and the blue curve) and move the mouse untill you get the smallest value -patience of job- (because in this case you can not insert a value like the angle in the rotational problem).. like in the stone age.

I really hope that Autodesk will make Scaling a Rotating tools Rhino like.

For all the rest hurray Alias... and Cyberdemon for the reply

I agree - the snaps (ability to do midpoint, endpoints etc) in Rhino are better then Alias. There are lots of ways of achieving the same end result, but the tools are not necessarily built for that type of efficiency. A lot of those workflows are better suited to some much less "Freeform" workflows. IE building to specific constraints like above.

Hell, even building a hexagon would be a multi-step operation.

But you probably won't see many tools like that evolve since a lot of what Rhino is great at - especially stuff that is more on the Autocad/2D end of things aren't really Alias's cup of tea.

At the same time some of Alias's tools like MoveCV provide discreet CV control when direct modelling that is invaluable and much harder to pull off with the Rhino means of things.

Everything has it's pros and cons. Just a matter of figuring out which suits you best.

A lot of those workflows are better suited to some much less "Freeform" workflows. IE building to specific constraints like above.

Hell, even building a hexagon would be a multi-step operation.

But you probably won't see many tools like that evolve since a lot of what Rhino is great at - especially stuff that is more on the Autocad/2D end of things aren't really Alias's cup of tea.

At the same time some of Alias's tools like MoveCV provide discreet CV control when direct modelling that is invaluable and much harder to pull off with the Rhino means of things.

Everything has it's pros and cons. Just a matter of figuring out which suits you best.

very true and very pity because it would take nothing to fix the few lack Alias has. Meanwhile for Rhino to reach the pros of Alias would be harder

cheers

sergio