Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
streamliner

Shower

This shower is aimed at users in third world countries. Due to limited water resources and the pressures of day-to-day survival, many people may not have the luxury to use a shower or bath on a regular basis. With this lack of hygiene comes the possibility of sickness and disease. This design aims to be an affordable solution to those who can least afford it.

Product aims:

(1)

Improve hygiene levels

(2)

Smart use of limited water supply. Uses less water than a bath

(3)

Affordable Low-tech solution

(4)

Ease of use.

(5)

Materials to be found locally. E.g. plastic containers, rope, wood

(6)

Manufactured and assembled by locals living within the area. (A possible small start up business)

Hi all

Here is the idea behind the design. Get a container with an air tight seal (five litres or more) put small holes into the bottom. Place into pot or bath, fill it with hot water. Tighten cork, place overhead via rope loosen cork to release water.

shower

What do you think?

Sounds simple yet effective enough.

what makes this different from outdoor camping showers readily available on the market?? (link below)

outdoor camping showers

Some further thought on the idea

- material. what type of plastic? might be worth looking at the camalbak website and see if you can find out what plastic they use for their water containers, mainly because water of course will harbour harmful bacteria especially in heat so they may have some nifty additives for their plastic containers to reduce this build up.

..... thats all i can think of for now.... keep it going.

what makes this different from outdoor camping showers readily available on the market?? (link below)

outdoor camping showers

Hi Brendan,

Yes, both designs do a similar job, yet my design modifies existing containers (five gallon HDPE container) that are widely available throughout the third world as a water carrying device. I would think by modifying an existing container that it would be cheaper for the user.The user has to boil the water in a separate unit. Then simply fill and hang it for use.

Other differences are

The design is simple.

Cost effective

Can hold five gallons of hot water.

Sturdy container

It uses the natural pressure within the container as the on/off release valve.e.g. cork

Easy to make/modify

Large showerhead.

Has a sturdy built in handle for holding and hoisting.

Hi

The solar heating method is the most effective and efficient way of heating the water and it makes sense to add this into the design. The user could paint their existing white containers (black) if black containers are not at hand.

Hi Waikit

Nice mockups! How do the users hang it above their heads and release the water?

Thanks,I’m working on a rope pulley design system (using just rope) its simple enough it half’s the force required to lift the load. The user can adjust the container to match his/hers correct height by release/pulling of the rope. There is nice clearance between the users head and the shower container but the cap remains within reach of the hand.

The showering frame is still under development; I will get some sketches up soon to display the function.

Below some sketches of the shower design.

post-49008-0-86589400-1306616922.jpg

post-49008-0-86727500-1306701924.jpg

I really respect your design constraint of using local, readily availible containers for your shower. Your renderings look good as well.

Good luck!

Joe.

What a nice simple idea. The best ideas are the simple ones! Good luck!

Thanks guys, good luck also

Here is some more stuff. If you are painting a white container, you can leave an empty strip in the middle to act as a water gauge. I made an indoor mock-up model, to get an idea of space and the lifting force required. The hoisting frame is not to the correct height and its indoors. See below.

post-49008-0-74215000-1306957309.jpg

post-49008-0-43379400-1306957333.jpg