Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gerivta

My Entry

Hello :)

Thinking of disadvantaged people I thought of third world countries, probably what most of you thought of. And thinking of them in my mind appears drought. Everybody knows that the lack of water leads to decreased level of hygiene which makes it easier to deseases to spread freely.

Bearing in mind how many bacteria there are in stale food, I've read that dishes there are hardly cleaned. So I thought of some kind of disposable dish dispenser whose dishes are made of bio-degradable plastic or cartboard.

What do you think of the idea?

I will upload some sketches soon :)

Hello :)

Thinking of disadvantaged people I thought of third world countries, probably what most of you thought of. And thinking of them in my mind appears drought. Everybody knows that the lack of water leads to decreased level of hygiene which makes it easier to deseases to spread freely.

Bearing in mind how many bacteria there are in stale food, I've read that dishes there are hardly cleaned. So I thought of some kind of disposable dish dispenser whose dishes are made of bio-degradable plastic or cartboard.

What do you think of the idea?

I will upload some sketches soon :)

That sounds like a novel idea. It would be interesting to see how a product with consumables would fair in a developing country. There has been some interesting things going on in the field of biodegradable, starch based plastic. Perhaps another approach you could look into is a device that would use a caesin or starch plastic to make single use tableware. Also, kudos on tracking down such an under addressed issue!

Joe.

Thank you for the idea about casein plastic, i didn't know about it and now i'm eager to try it at home. But the truth is that is quite expensive - you need 1-2l of milk to produce few plates.. But i've been searching for tableware made of bio degradable plastic made of corn starch and sugar cane and they are much cheaper. I'm not sure that i'm able to make a device which produces them since there are big factories for that and they cost around 0.01$ per piece,I can't be a competitor to them. So my task becomes easier - tableware dispenser in which plates and cutlery are load in. To be more useful it could make something with the already used ones but this demands electricity..

I once designed a bin that can produce paper plates.

You would put all old paper based products inside and then it will produce the plate.

The problem with this is that each home would need a unit.

Maybe you can have one factory that produces it for you.

People can bring paper and recieve a amount produced plates for it.

This will encourage people to clean the area they live in and around, i live in South Africa, we are in need of people cleaning and job creation.

Maybe even use plastic and glass in the same way, then people will want to collect ''rubbish'' cause they can gain from it.

Communities can work together, giving people money, like a recycling house would is no good cause then they buy booze and glue and get f'd of their faces.

Sponsers can carry most of the costs as doing good is becoming popular, which is retarted cause it should be the first thing on your mind, DO GOOD!

Jsut a direction to think of while doing this project, enjoi!

I am apt to agree with Streamliner on this one. Getting people used to a single use culture is what is hurting the world right now. Instead of single use to prevent germs, how about plates that are made from anti-microbial plastic? The unique design aspect could be the way that the plates and other tableware are distributed, and later stored by the users. Just a thought.

Joe.

Guys, the truth is that I'm still at school, I'm not even last year, but i really wanted to pаrtиcipate in the competition/challenge. I want to study product design, but now i'm really not capable of producing a machine that produce things. Since i can design only simpler things, I'll try to make up an interesting way to dispense plates and tableware although I don't thing disadvantaged people need that kind of stuff.

I'm really gratefull for your interest in my thoughts and for your advices, thank you all!

I'll upload something soon :)

Guys, the truth is that I'm still at school, I'm not even last year, but i really wanted to pаrtиcipate in the competition/challenge. I want to study product design, but now i'm really not capable of producing a machine that produce things. Since i can design only simpler things, I'll try to make up an interesting way to dispense plates and tableware although I don't thing disadvantaged people need that kind of stuff.

I'm really gratefull for your interest in my thoughts and for your advices, thank you all!

I'll upload something soon :)

hey, dont limit yourself by saying you cant do something. you can do anything you set your mind to. just give it a try.

i am at uni in the final week of my product design course. you dont learn specifically how to design mechanisms etc, you are nurtured by lecturers to think and do a certain way and to give you that little push to go and do things out of your comfort zone. so get out there and just have a go, you will be surprised at wat you can achieve when you set your mind to it.

hi, i know that this is rather ugly, but we should have work in progress, right? :D

post-49610-0-00310300-1305551127.jpg

p.s. lobbster, are you BA or BSc?

i'm BSc but even on the creative course at my uni they get a BSc because of the funding the uni gets. so im not sure how much attention you should pay to that