Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
benrb

Wacom Intuos2 - Can You Help?

Hi there

I am hoping somebody can help me.

I have lost the rocker switch from my Wacom Intuos 2 pen.

I've tried quite hard to find a replacement, including contacting Wacom but it seems no-one has stock and Wacom aren't making anymore (unsurprisingly they suggested I buy a new tablet, despite me pointing out the lack of environmental or economic sense that made).

Anyway I've decided that I can get a replacement made by SLA rapid prototyping relatively cheaply, it's only small and the CAD should be no problem.

I just need a bit of help from somebody who has an Intuos2 pen with side switch. I'd be most grateful for some photos of the switch itself, just so I can check the fixing. I need a photo of the switch off the pen, so I can see the underside properly.

I could probably just measure the pen and guess but I'm hoping to get it right first time.

Thanks loads for your time and help

Ben

The Wacom pens should all be compatible. Is there a reason you can't just get a new Stylus? The $50 for it on Ebay probably would be cheaper and faster than designing your own switch and SLAing it.

I'm told that they are not compatible. Buying a new pen is quite expensive - I think this will be the best route and I also plan to make the 3D file available for others with a similar problem.

Hmm weird, I thought they'd all be compatible...wonder if they just BS you to sell you the new pens. We had some of the old early model Cinitq's floating around, I wonder if the new pens will work on those.

Don't have any of the parts but there are some on Ebay you might be able to get cheap...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacom-PVI-X90-Intuos2-Grip-Pen-/180661396687?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a104224cf#ht_500wt_1156

First post on here so hello everyone! I'm studying Product Design Engineering at Brunel University in London, currently on placement at P&G. Hopefully this forum will be a useful resource.

I'm in a similar situation to Ben, I'm building a DIY Cintiq out of an Intuos2 and a 15" Dell monitor. I got the Tablet off eBay but the pen was missing the buttons. If somebody would be kind enough to take some pictures and dimensions I'd really appreciate it, then I can share the CAD and print a replacement on our Objet machine at work.

Wacom no longer sell the switches, just replacement pens for £80!!! which is more than I bought the tablet for. I'm watching a few replacement pens on eBay, but most only come with a tablet which I don't need and adds extra cost to the project, when all I want is a tiny little plastic insert!

i may be able to help. (i also made myself a diy cintiq, went for 23" one though :) )

i have the middle pen and i can get measurements of the switch easy enough. may even be able to 3d scan it if it will be of use?

2224648527_34b50f4fc7.jpg

Yes it's the middle one I need. Bernard over at the Bongofish forums has been really helpful and posted some photos beside a ruler, so I should be able to draw up rough CAD from that. I'll give that a go and if it's not accurate enough a 3D scan would be ideal, but I'll give this a go first and get back to you :)

On another note, how's the 23" diytiq working out for you? Any tips for case design? My 15" is working pretty well with the boards laid out bare, just need to get it wrapped up to avoid the risk of damage/electrocution now!

well, i say 23" but there is a stip of about 25mm on the side that i cant get to unless i switch to mouse mode. but other than that im extremely happy. i like being able to do the big sweeps you can do on a3 paper. as far as a case, i havnt got to that yet. been too busy at uni. its just the barebones screen laid out on the tablet with a load of tinfoil everywhere but it works well.

Benrb - I just found an old Cintiq 18sx replacement switch which looks like it is exactly what you need.

If you feel like paying shipping from the US (NY) I can send it to you. Shoot me a PM if you still need it.

benrb, I'm in the same boat, lost two of those plastic switches and would be happy to pay less than the price of new pen for a couple of more (they just don't stay in very well). Were you successful in reproducing some? I would gladly buy a couple if you happen to be making some. Thank you!