Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Thesis Project | Plus One Auto

Hi everyone, I used to be a member on these forums a year or two ago but I lost my account, so here I am back again to share my latest projects. I am a Canadian design student who's thesis project for the last 6 months has been to solve world traffic problems. I have designed a car sharing vehicle/system that addresses transportation issues in dense urban areas.

for more information please visit one of the following sites:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Plus-O...98276513536736

Brochure: http://issuu.com/BrianJeffcock/docs/plusoneauto

If you also have time, you can check out my new tool design project: http://guild.brianjeffcock.com/

Now that I just graduated and have put my work together I am interested in getting more involved in the ID community so I thought rejoining here would be a great start.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your feedback.

Brian

post-50820-0-07208100-1304013050.jpg

post-50820-0-22582300-1304013209.jpg

Impressive!

I'm sorry I'm not a designer,but I have make a lot of design ideas info real products.

Hope with more communications

Thank you

Lanty

Nice renderings. The idea is a bit weak, but hey, senior projects are supposed to be flashy. :P

Nice renderings. The idea is a bit weak, but hey, senior projects are supposed to be flashy. :P

Thanks. Just out of curiosity though, what do you find weak about it? Naturally, every project has its downfalls, but I am interested in what you feel I could improve as I feel that a system such as this one has real potential if properly executed.

Any feedback (especially critical feedback) is welcome so feel free to put your 2 cents in. I'd like to revisit this project and strengthen it or perhaps address the problem in a different way so please crit this hard. I want to find ways of improving traffic issues in dense populated areas. Systems such as trains, bikes and buses have been proven to reduce congestion, but they are systems that many people are reluctant to use if they can use their own private vehicle. I am trying to find ways to reduce the number of privately owned vehicles on the road by providing vehicles for rent when existing public transit systems won't suffice. It seems to me that the first step to getting people onto public transit it to get people out of their privately owned car. This system allows people to get rid of their own car without loosing its convenience.

Anyways, let me know what you think I could improve/research to help strengthen my concept.

thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Im just curious as to whether the vehicle was designed soley in CAD, as there are a few areas that seem a little unresolved. The wheelarches for example seem like a bit of an afterthought and just 'stuck' on. I understand

this is a small vehicle but nonetheless the proportions and details are a little unresolved imo. The idea is nice, but the execution lets it down a little.

The core concept is not much different from a Smart car other than aesthetically/drivetrain and the proposed packaging (I don't realistically think you have the space required for a small 2+2)

I think the smart car concept (car that was small enough to park perpendicular to the curb or 2 in 1 spot) was all very clever but never quite widely adopted as it needed to be. Plus the parking 2 cars in 1 spot only works if the person stuck in the back doesn't need to leave till after you. It works great for a rendering, and maybe as a fleet vehicle, but that aspect would be impossible to control in real environments.

Even in urban environments, most people aren't willing to give up the practicality afforded by a larger car.

The problem with congestion in cities is also the fact that most people in cities use their cars ONLY for going out of the city. Which means the small car needs to be effective on the highways and on longer trips.

As a pure vehicle design exercise - I think the design itself could have used a lot of refinement. Theres no real surfacing or flow, just a base shape with additional shapes booleaned on and vents cut out. It would have been nice to see your sketch progression to understand why you chose the forms you did.

Cybe, small cars are meant to be saving something quantifiable. If you have to pay for a parking lot for an ungodly miniscule car as much as for a longer-than -a -Palin`s speech stretch limo, then what difference does it make to a customer? Small cars are bought by pragmatic people who want to save not the planet, but their pennies, by sacrifising what the car was initially meant to be. They are also bought by women who lack sense of visual gemoetry, and have an OCD of hitting a vehicle even when it is standing beyond the vanishing point. The rest agreed.

I think the smart car concept (car that was small enough to park perpendicular to the curb or 2 in 1 spot) was all very clever but never quite widely adopted as it needed to be. Plus the parking 2 cars in 1 spot only works if the person stuck in the back doesn't need to leave till after you. It works great for a rendering, and maybe as a fleet vehicle, but that aspect would be impossible to control in real environments.

Well its a car sharing system so you don't own the car, so if your "blocked in", you simply take the vehicle that is accessible.

here is the ISSUU process document that goes with the project. http://issuu.com/brianjeffcock/docs/plusoneautoprocess

Form development starts a few pages in so just skip ahead if your interested in why I chose that form. This project was less about the exterior form and more about the system that goes with it. I undrestand your feedback and revising the exterior form is something I will consider, however the archs were a design chosen from the beginning as the wheels had to kicked out alot from the body to allow for proper legroom for the passangers (as the front seats are wider apart than a smart car). I appriate your feedback and I encourage you to review both the website and process document as they should clear up a few (but not all) of the questions raised. I appreciate you taking the time to give me good feedback as it gives me lots to consider when moving forwards.

Please keep leaving comments as so far, all the feedback has been great!

thanks,

Brian