Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Sketchbook Pro Crashing, Destroying Work.

Sketchbook Pro crashed yesterday, and as usual, it prompted me to save a file of work. I did, and of course that file was gibberish and did not actually save anything. But here's the real kicker: it corrupted the file I was working on, completely destroying 15 hours of work.

Awesome.

If you're having issues I would consider looking into your hardware/drivers. I've never had a crash in sketchbook pro that I can think of and that includes multiple version over multiple machines.

From an IT standpoint the first thing to do would be see if the crash is reproducible. If not, try making sure all your drivers are up to date, and you've done an obligatory spyware, malware, virus check with multiple programs. Lastly, if it's impacting your workflow that badly I would consider wiping your drive and starting with a fresh clean OS install. I've had people complain to me about stability issues and in almost every case it was due to some piece of software they had installed or a driver conflict.

No, it isn't repeatable, everything is up to date, and in using Sketchbook for .. jeez.. over 4 years now, I've never had this issue. But I lost a LOT of work, and in the future I am no longer hitting save, I am hitting "save as". I will wind up with 40-50 files in various states of completion, then delete the unfinished ones when I am done. Un-****ing believable that it corrupted the file though, YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED.

Yeah that sucks. Never hurts to version files. I just do that as a forcive habit for everything these days. Everything is dated and if the date I save isn't the current date it will get updated. Keeps you from losing more than a day on anything.

Good reminder to make sure you backup every night too. Sometimes weird crashes like that can be signs of an impending hardware failure. I remember I had one of my backup drives start failing a few years ago. All the files would back up and looked fine, but turns out all of the data was completely corrupted. Lucky thing to catch before a primary drive fails.