Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie Hope

Questions For Any Cad/fea Modellers

Dear readers

My name is Jamie Hope and I am currently in my third year of University studying ‘Product Design and Innovation’ at the University of Wolverhampton. For one of the modules I am undertaking, I am required to look at possible jobs and which career path I wish to embark upon graduating University.

I am not looking for a Job or clients, I am looking to increase my knowledge and understanding of the career path that I will soon be partaking. I am looking for people in the career path I have chosen to fill out a couple of questions below.

The career path I am looking at is for jobs that use CAD/FEA technology as I wish to become a CAD/FEA designer/engineer.

If you are a person who works along this career path, I would be most grateful if you could spend a couple of minutes answering the following questions:

1) What Qualifications do you need?

2) What training did you have to go through to get where you are now?

3) When did you get your first job relating to your current career path?

4) How long did it take you to get to where you are currently at in your career?

5) What do you think differentiates you from other applicants when applying for jobs?

6) How much of the engineering knowledge you gained through further education do you use in a job?

7) What does a typical day’s work include?

Thank you

Jamie Hope

I'm not one, but I can tell you that any person I ever met doing FEA work was always a mechanical engineer, and FEA was only a small section of their work, not a full blown position.

As Cyberdemon said FEA is almost always done by engineers, mostly mechnical (but not always), however FEA is many times a full blown position, it requires significant experience and knowledge. Usually there are consultancy firms that do FEA analysis for others. Unexperienced people also do FEA but the results may not be reliable, depending on the analysis, and the user may not even understand that the results are faulty. FEA is a very broad field in itself, you may need to specialize in one of them. Expert level FEA analiysts modify the code to make the software do what they want. MAny people think FEA as a continuation of CAD but it is not so, however big companies that sell FEA software wants us to think that FEA is autoatically done after we have done the CAD drawings, so that they can sell more. For instance one of my friends work as a CFD analyst, and just meshing the job takes weeks or months.

FEA is a great field, very promising, and will be even better in the future. If you becaome good at your field you can become a very sought after person.