Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
JoeMattley

Bicycle Parking Design

Hi guys, I've got some quick solidworks models here of some urban bike parking.

The idea is to protect against vandalism and theft of parts. The main body, the wavey bit will be made from a glass reinforced composite (the composite been expanded steel).

All locking components will use galvanised steel.

Here's some pics:

Concept 1 uses a roller coaster style harness to secure the bike with a spring to assist the lifting of the harness.

flipupangled2.jpg

flipupdlockconcept.jpg

flipupright.jpg

flipupfront.jpg

and then concept 2, uses a gate.

mockup1right-1.jpg

mockup1front-1.jpg

gatedesign1-2.jpg

Both concept use the cyclists own D-lock, although I'll probably incorporate other locks like pad-locks. I'm also considering using a coin payment method, which when entered, allows the lock bolt to slide giving one lock and unlock cycle. Hopefully this would prevent people from leaving their locks there. I was originally going to use an electronic system to lock the design, but decided to go for a purely mechanical design to keep costs down, but also because I didn't want the thing having to be wired into the national grid.

Any thoughts or suggestions dudes?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys!

I saw it briefly in my research a while ago, I was a bit annoyed when I did actually as before I started the project, it's the kind of thing I imagined first!! Concept 1 is really an evolution of concept 2. Now it just looks like I've copied that guy!

Hi Joe

Nice 3d model, I like your vandal proof approach. Not so sure about the way the bicycle fit into the compartment tho. Would the elderly cyclists struggle to achieve that installation method? Or would they what do you think?

Cheers mate, it's only quick sketch cad, I'm working on the final ones now. As for the elderly cyclist, I'm guessing people that are too elderly to wheel their bike round wouldn't be riding it? I don't know many elderly people, so I could be wrong! I'm going with the approach that no matter how inclusive a design is, there's always a minority you can't please without the inclusive design going a bit silly. I'd say it was a compromise between space efficiency and the issue you just described. As it is aimed at commuters and casual cyclists (who would probably not be riding around on their heavy downhill bike), I'm going with the general assumption (that's backed up) that people wouldn't have massively heavy bikes and could handle them. The rail should help a bit with getting the bike upright too.

Would you say you have any preference between the 2 designs? Just in an aesthetic sense, let's use the assumption they're both just as durable and functional etc.

Cheers dude!!

Would you say you have any preference between the 2 designs? Just in an aesthetic sense, let's use the assumption they're both just as durable and functional etc.

Cheers dude!!

Sure ok I would have to pick the second design (the one with the door and roof). ;),but what does everyone else think?

Hi, the concept is good but I think way too much material is used. It would be a lot cheaper if the design had a mesh or some sort of grid between the bikes, not an entire wall. I'm thinking of this from the cost perspective.

Also, I think the aspect would gain from this change. In my opinion, it would be friendlier object to use.

The first visuals looks best in my opinion. Ideal with a 'gas spring' so the person doens't have to pull the whole weight of the metal cover. Real nice design for example a trainstation placed bike locker. The in between walls could be single sided sheetmetal instead of double sided. Good luck!

Thanks for all the comments guys, sorry about delays too! I've now finished the project and the finished piece can be seen here: http://www.productdesignforums.com/topic/12949-wave-secure-modular-bicycle-parking/

As for cost, I've worked it out and it'll be about £550 per bike. This is based on costing from various material websites, tooling and the cost of labour per module as such. This is actually cheaper then the nearest product on the market (bike lockers) which cost between £600 - 1100. I went with the expanded steel mesh which is sprayed with fibre glass, going with the 'out of site, out of mind view' rather then having mesh which preying eyes could see!

Thanks!