Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
nickallen1984

Offsetting In Solidworks

Can anyone help!

I am currently modelling a cross section of a solar PV cell in Solidworks. I need to add a layer of dye to the surface of the nanoparticles (the blue bobbles). how do i offset a surface/solid to get get this layered effect - the effect will look like the shell on an M&M/smarties chocolate. The idea is to do a further cross section through the object at some point.

Let me know if you don't understand what i am trying to say!

Smarties372.jpg

post-50251-0-22165000-1301345899.jpg

This would be fairly easy in most tools, but I'm not sure exactly the best way of doing this in Solidworks.

Really what you want is to have each object as a shell - you should be able to just use the shell tool to offset the outer surface inwards and make each "particle" a solid object.

You could also try offsetting each object as a surface (not a solid) so that you have an outer surface and inner surface.

Can anyone help!

I am currently modelling a cross section of a solar PV cell in Solidworks. I need to add a layer of dye to the surface of the nanoparticles (the blue bobbles). how do i offset a surface/solid to get get this layered effect - the effect will look like the shell on an M&M/smarties chocolate. The idea is to do a further cross section through the object at some point.

Let me know if you don't understand what i am trying to say!

Smarties372.jpg

Easy:

Do a move / copy body to duplicate the body.

Shell the duplicated body to the required thickness.

Do a second move / copy body to duplicate this shelled bit.

Combine one of the shelled bodies with the original body using subtract to give the inner solid bit.

You should now have one body which is the outer 'crust' and another body which is the inner solid.

This can then be patterned to fill your volume (might be better done in your rendering software using instances etc.)

Let me know if you get stuck

I think the easiest way is to create a new assembly with virtual components. Then you can copy and paste those parts.

Why in assembly? Because very quickly and easy you can manipulate in 3D space, and at the end you can save assembly as multibody part and next combine all bodies if you want.

See attached.

Assem1.zip

Assembly is good choice.

You can make the cell by to copy the surface more distance as small as you looked.

And make the surface in you want render.