Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ehonda

Garden Bucket Design

Hello all,

i am currently designing an ergonomic bucket for the garden, however i need it to be environmentally friendly and cheap but at the same time have enough strength to take the load created by garden waste, i was thinking of PE, but i get the feeling that wont actually have enough tensile strength, any suggestions would be appreciated

cheers

Hello ehonda,

I think your material is right on track. If your would like to incorporate greenwise thinking into the material, I would go with LDPE. It is the plastic used in plastic milk jugs and is very often recycled into post consumer goods. The texture and natural strength of the material are a good fit for a bucket that will see hard use. If you are concerned with the strength of the bucket, you can address that to some extent with the design of the bucket itself.

I don't want to advertise anyone specific, but alot of the large rapid prototype firms offer a plastics design"sampler" free of charge. They also have regular updates on how to design products for the most effective use of plastics. Protolabs and first cut are two of the companies I know of that offer the samplers. Hoep this helps!

Joe.

Hi Ehonda,

Actually,I agree with upstairs guy. But also I would like to recommend LLOPE, IT has higher tensile strength than LDPE, it exhibits higher impact and puncture

resistance than LDPE. Lower thickness (gauge) films can be blown, compared with LDPE, with better environmental stress cracking resistance but is not as easy to process.

LLDPE is used in packaging, particularly film for bags and sheets. Lower thickness may be used compared to LDPE. Cable covering, toys, lids, buckets, containers and

pipe. While other applications are available, LLDPE is used predominantly in film applications due to its toughness, flexibility and relative transparency. Product

examples range from agricultural films, saran wrap, and bubble wrap, to multilayer and composite films.

If you are considering building a pond like a bucket design or even if you already have some pond experience, this article will introduce you to some level of tips and tricks dispel some myths and perhaps reinforce good notions you may already have for pleasant endeavors with aquatic gardening.