Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilippeV8

Fruite-platter

Guest PhilippeV8

Assignment = design a fruite-plate which can hold 3 apples. Do not use planes, only lines. Only a plane which serves as a foot resting on the table is allowed. Mi first thought was to keep it as simple as possible.

What are your thoughts ? To simple ?

fruitmand.jpg

Guest almunro

i really like it... but would it stand up with all 3 apples on it?? or would it tip over?

Alex

Guest Bbarn

i dont think the base works with the rest of the piece. it seems thrown on at the end to me, i guess think of it as..just because you can use a plane for the base, doesn't mean you have to.

Guest PhilippeV8

Ok, so I must agree.

The base is the worst part. It makes me think of an iron (lol).

In terms of "would it tip over", I'd say no if I make it metal too :)

I'll try something else. Also I would like to get the biggest arm similar shape as the smallest. And I think I should stick to 1 material for this.

Guest PhilippeV8

And here's the final result.

I even put in an extra apple.

How do you guys like them apples ? :D

overzicht.jpg

Any final thoughts on this one ?

Nice! 2 parts I see? Will those 2 parts move if the apples are too heavy?

Looks great, I could see this in the shops easily!

Guest PhilippeV8

Renzu >> Indeed 2 parts. First I didn't know how to fix them together. I was suggested to solder them. Then that didn't work. Then I went to ask for special allu solder and a heavy duty iron but no luck. Then I was suggested 2 component glue. This did the trick.

I was a bit scared myself of structural strength compared to apple weight. But in the end you can see on the pictures how much it bends true (even with 4 apples). Check the side-image. I think that's rather acceptable.

Parel >> I kinda like it not being so tight. Now the apples go deeper the closer they get to the lowest part. You can see that from the side. Sure you have to put your biggest apple at the lowest part :lol: but I just took some basic apples and it worked out fine. The whole thing could be made slightly smaller in general to allow for even the smaller apples.

The "skip out" you suggest .. not sure 'bout that either. It would be a rather drastic/sharp turn from the wires which could break the entire idea, no ?

Hmmm, pretty cool, my only suggestion is to make it look a little sleeker because I see this more decorative than practical ( not that it's not practical) keep it simple, and try to make it look like just a single solid part. Then I would be proud to put my apples on this thing lol!

This looks great; I don’t think you need the second part (the stopper). Could you incorporate that part into the main piece by using an extra vertical bend at the end so it now acts as the stopper or speed bump? The space between the two new bends cant be greater than the average apple diameter for it to work tho.