8 replies to this topic

#1 garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:34 AM

Hey guys im 16 and hope to be a car designer. Iv been looking around a few different forums looking at others work and i really am impressed with what i see, and i hope to be getting as good as some of you. Im really just looking to see what people think of my designs, i know theyre not perfect but i am improving.

I don't really have much of a proper portfolio but iv made a really basic website just so people can have a look through at my designs. I love working with biro's and some pencil, but i have to say most of these are just done on a wacom tablet on sketchbook pro (its free it your a student :) ) but now im starting off my sketches on paper because i feel i can get proportions done a lot better.

Anyway id really appreciate a bit of feedback, and id love to hear some constructive criticism because i love car designing and getting help to improve is great! Here's the link to my website, be sure to check the 'Car Design' section, newer ones are nearer the top btw :)

My Site

#2 vander

vander

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

For only being 16 your work is really quite good! I think you have a promising future ahead of you if you keep it up.

Some of your designs have some slight perspective issues but on a whole its pretty good, and your understanding of highlights and shadows is developing nicely from what I can see.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more!

#3 garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Thanks! Yeah i know theres a fair bit that needs work but hey i love doing it so itl improve with time :)

#4 windy

windy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • At:xiamen

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

you are a good designer Keep up the good work!!

#5 Constantin

Constantin

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:transport design, 2d/3d cg, illustration

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

Very impressive work Gary! :)

#6 garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Thanks guys! Just wondering if there's anything i specifically need to be improving on?

#7 Dastardly_Dave

Dastardly_Dave

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

Most important thing for an IDer is your end user.
Not entirely sure how that translates over to car design, you may opt for styling as your forte, but at the end of the day if you design your product around your user, based on sound user research you'll be quite successful.

For sixteen your drawings are great, I loved art at your age and would paint and draw people etc, and only got into doing product renderings during my course....that said I'd always be sketching products too, but never at a rendering level.

If you are looking for something to improve on, it'll always be line work and proportions.

Nice job and keep up the good work and the posting.

#8 garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

Thanks Dave! I think my prooportions and line work should hopefully improve with time. Iv added a new sketch just right now that i rendered and i hav to say im pretty pleased with the results :) Anyway check it out if you want its here: land rover
also if your wondering why a lot of the sketches are landrover and suvs its because in art at school thats my design part of course for this year

#9 advancedboy

advancedboy

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Cars, aviation, science, US, nature, space, etc.

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

very nice indeed, you have it in you. Challenge yourself, work more on elements,, And I like your perspective. My perspective sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: