Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
arykotlik

Headphone Production

Hello, thanks for reading.

I'm an industrial design student from Mendoza, Argentina. I'm doing some research on building headphones, looking around for suppliers or asking on online contractors marketplace and wholesale but I'm having trouble finding a couple of things.

First off good speakers for the headphones. All i can get is cheap 40mm mylar speakers with awful frequency responses. Any ideas where I can look ? where does sennheiser, philips, panasonic get's theirs ? i want them to be able to be driven by most electronic devices so i was thinking around 32ohm 30 - 50 mm speakers with neodymium magnets.

The second thing I'm having trouble finding is cloth braided audio cables. Anyone ? Any information would be very helpful.

I wanted to see how much cnc milled aluminum would cost to make the cans. Any recommendations?, should i bother asking or it´s too expensive? I think i can get my hands on a computer with solidworks, is it possible to optimize my design on a computer software? as I need them to be lightweight, resistant and good looking but I cannot make a lot of prototypes.

Thank you very much.

Ary  

I don't know about most of the things you ask but CNC machining (probably lathe, not milling) of the cans would be cheap. Unlike CNC milling, CNC lathe is used in many common mass products. I once wanted to have some CNC made Titanium bolts and the cost was probably around 0.5 to 1 dollars per piece, and that is titanium, aluminum would be cheaper. My friend has a factory and they make CNC lathe parts for automotive industry and it is inexpensive. By the way titanium bolts were 3 mm in diameter and were cheap when you order 10 000 or so. If you want a few they may not even listen to you or charge some big money (actually they need to do so) but there are always some good people wanting to help, especially if you are a student.

Another alternative could be Rapid prototyping, if your parts are small (obviously yours are)and you need some variations it is ideal.Again I wanted a titanium part (well I like titanium :D )roughly 100mm x 3 mm x 20 mm and it costed around 180 €. There is a website quickparts that gives online instant quotes but for polymer based RP. But I think that will work for your prototypes. Just upload a stl. file or similar.

About optimization, if you tell what kind of a optimization you need I may be able to help.

Hello guys, thank you very much for the information. Tomorrow I'm going ask around to see where to machine the aluminum cans, it's great to have a reference price!.

Regarding the speakers, I've already checked at alibaba.com. Most speakers I found had horrible specs, I'm looking for better speakers but I can't seem to be able to found any. Thanks anyway!