Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
JenJaw

Portfolio For University

I am applying to uni in the UK For product and industrial design and I am doing a Foundation diploma at the moment which is the first time I have art/design since I was 14 (now nearly 19) so all my work is self initiated or work from my current brief for my course.

I really want my portfolio to be as good as I can get it because I cant wait to design for a living :)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

LINK: http://jenniferwatling.carbonmade.com/projects/3019473#1

(Formatted For print A3 sized)

its always difficult to give a feedback on portfolios for universities

do you know what the university is requiring you to show ?

different universities, have different requirements

it also helps if you have a look at portfolios which were successful

maybe you can even meet a professor from the university, ask him whats important for them

Thanks for your help :)

I had an email from one place saying: "around 20 pieces of work in your portfolio, which might include examples of your drawing, use of colour, 2D and 3D work and anything related to the subject you are applying for. Photographs of larger or fragile work are acceptable instead of carrying everything with you! Please also include a piece of your recent written work and sketchbooks that show how you think and develop ideas." and another one has portfolio advice on the website: http://www.ntu.ac.uk/adbe/document_uploads/94891.pdf

I tried to match what they want to see and I have weekly feedback sessions from my tutor as well as looking through coroflot portfolios from people at the Uni's.

To be honest I find the more feedback I get the better I can make it.

I was also wondering what you think of the idea's? I know they could be more original, but of what I have done, I worked through in my own way to develop the products in my own style (if that makes sense).

your overall graphic design seems to be very prominent, maybe you could make it a little simpler - text doesn't need to be that large, especially on A3

one thing i am concerned, that i don't get what some of your designs are doing(or what the advantages are) (but maybe its just me) and some stuff seems to overlap. so try to separate projects visually - e.g a final page which shows your product in action (so people understand what your product is supposed to do)

the pdf mentions that they want you to include one or two sketchbooks > how is it coming along ?

second

We are happy for the work to be float-mounted onto plain white cartridge

paper or thin white board.

at least to me it seems that they want to see your original works, no(or at least only a view) digital prints

another overall impression, is that you need to put more effort into sketching, right now there is no need for marker stuff. e.g. the headphone pages are a little visually irritating. buy yourself some prismacolor pencils (or polychromes) and simply shade them.

maybe you could also include a social inspired project(thats a very trendy topic ;-). think about, how could you make old peoples life better(ask your grand mother).

link to one of the portfolios from students of that university, maybe we ca sort out what they care most

I remember when I was asked for a portfolio when I went to my Universities' interview. I took a digital copy along with me, but the lecturer didn't look at that, he was more interested in the works I had with me, that he could flick through. I took specific Art & Design works and printed off any digital work that was relevant, all mounted on A2 board. Everyone else's portfolio was A4 size. I think I intimidated other people a little hah.

Your work seems very focused on model making, and these images are your strongest in the portfolio. That said, it is always good to see a variety of different techniques in a portfolio, especially hints of digital 3D modelling experience.

This is just my opinion, but I hate seeing white sketch sheets on a black background. It's much cleaner to use either pastel colours or leave the background white with a nice border. I have a tendency to use block colours. Also, a key point to remember is to not include too much writing (such as in the first page). Keep it simple. The interviewer will most likely flick through your work, looking at the pretty pictures and not the text. Last criticism (I swear!), and this may be more to do with a touch of OCD, but I really like seeing images displayed in perfect geometric shapes, such as squares or circles. Then, align them to give more structure to the page.

Good luck with your interview!

I remember when I was asked for a portfolio when I went to my Universities' interview. I took a digital copy along with me, but the lecturer didn't look at that, he was more interested in the works I had with me, that he could flick through. I took specific Art & Design works and printed off any digital work that was relevant, all mounted on A2 board. Everyone else's portfolio was A4 size. I think I intimidated other people a little hah.

Your work seems very focused on model making, and these images are your strongest in the portfolio. That said, it is always good to see a variety of different techniques in a portfolio, especially hints of digital 3D modelling experience.

This is just my opinion, but I hate seeing white sketch sheets on a black background. It's much cleaner to use either pastel colours or leave the background white with a nice border. I have a tendency to use block colours. Also, a key point to remember is to not include too much writing (such as in the first page). Keep it simple. The interviewer will most likely flick through your work, looking at the pretty pictures and not the text. Last criticism (I swear!), and this may be more to do with a touch of OCD, but I really like seeing images displayed in perfect geometric shapes, such as squares or circles. Then, align them to give more structure to the page.

Good luck with your interview!

Thanks for your opinions :)

I have taken off all the OTT formatting, I got a bit carried away with that (i think because I have a bit of a graphics background) so I'm just printing of the sheets of work as they are on to A3. The reason I have the writing bit on there is because some of the uni's asked for a piece of writing in my portfolio. I will try and put some more sketches in there too, try to make it a bit more rounded and that.