Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eobet

How to include transparent plastic in your model?

I'm creating a cellphone with a very organic look in cibatool. The thing is, I'd really like to print out a screendump of the display and stick it behind some transparent plastics and fit it in the model.

Does anyone know how to do this, and what material I can purchase, without having to do vacuum molding?

(I've purchased something you make water for model railroads with from Woodland Scenics, which I'm going to try to pour into a plaster mould, but I have no idea if it will work or not.)

Guest Moonman

Good Luck! If you are going to go to the trouble of trying to make a resin cast piece you should just bite the bullet and make a pattern and have it vac-formed. As far as the display behind it- Try printing out your display on acetate. (transparency sheets) In your printer. Then take and spray the background color on the backside of the printed transparency. We mix a special green that resembles thermometer displays and stuff. You will be surprised at how slick this can look. Then you can trim it to fit. Place your newly vac-formed cover in place and voila!

Guest ono

I agree with Moonman,

If you are going to pour into a plaster mould you need to make the two sides, and it might look messy, unless you have done that before, the vac-forming is the best, and I; sure you can have it made in some workshop, what about using a heat gun on an acrylic sheet, and against a one sided mould?