Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
eobet

What's the name of this phenomenon?

We recently had a lecture in design history, where the teacher told us about the first sewing machines which were introduced to the market. They were completely covered in ornaments and patterns, because the inventors thought it was something everyone wanted in their livingrooms. However, they became mostly used in factories, and later smaller and portable (rather so that they could be tucked away).

My question is, is there a name to this phenomenon which occurs when a completely new product is introduced, and nobody really knows which market it will end up in? (The teacher didn't know the name.)

I'm doing research for a small project, and it feels silly to have to describe what I mean with a very long and boring out of date example.

Guest desagree

well, in sociological terms it is called conformity (german: konformismus). it means that people look at each other and act the same in surprising situations (f.e. train in tunnel- electrical blackout.).translated to design it means that you try to embed a new solution into a known environment by applying known elements/features. it`s one of the main appoaches/criteria in science fiction, too. f.e. warp speed is an evolution/interpretation from known/existing technical terms. it gives the impression of extraordinary speed without being (too) ridiculous.

why do most space ships have control on gravity (even in newer ones like final fantasy)? they need it to create a comparable environment to the earth (audience)

there is a certain amount of "new" things to create a vision and enough to recognize in order to not reject the story.

you could find help in these movies: "back to the future" and "tron"

Guest rnds
Thanks! It sounds much better when you can put a term to what you're describing.

I guess you could use the phrase "undetermined niche"