Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest andrej

[ aspiring ] car designer portfolio website

Guest andrej

I've created my online portfolio website. Please tell me what's good...what's bad, what should I improve, etc. I'm going to translate it to Slovak and Spanish and I'd like to make sure everything is OK in order to have less work when fixing something - better once than three times.

Do not hesitate to criticize me!

I'm still improving it.

more at:... and5rey.uni.cc

Guest sachin

I've drawn my share of cars, so I'll give a few pieces of advice.

-Look at the book, "How to design cars like a pro"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...999239?v=glance

-Perspective! Try to draw hundreds of boxes and circles in perspective. While you do that, try to throw the line down using you arm as opposed to drawing with your wrist. This is crucial to learning how to draw a car, and promotes thinking in 3 dimensions.

-Proportion: Try to imagine you car in a model format. Most cars have three wheels in between the wheel base, a car with around 1-2 wheels tend to look cartoonish.

-Always draw with reference at hand, look at www.cardesignnews.com and look at the portfolios there.

If you would like to see my work, its at www.coroflot.com/smistry, I hope these tidbits of information helped, if you have any more questions just ask.

Guest andrej

sachin, thank you for your advice. I like your works.

I'll work on this later. Now I'd like to create a good website and I ask for advice on my website - it's webdesign.

I'll post as I redesign my site.

Guest rodanx86

The new site is much better. For me it loaded a whole lot quicker. The comments so far are right on the money. I like the fact that you understand how to tell a story with your sketches and layouts.

At this point, I think that you should focus on getting good sketching skills and not get distracted by web design. What schools and employers are looking for is 1) good thinking skills and 2) good sketching skills. Other skills like Photoshop, HTML, Solidworks can be taught later. They want someone which has a good understanding of design. The key here is to have good content, not a good container for your content.

Guest andrej
-Always draw with reference at hand

Sachin could you explain what exactly do you mean?

The comments so far are right on the money.

What money do you mean?

I like the fact that you understand how to tell a story with your sketches and layouts.

Do you mean the Scarabeus presentation boards?

Yes you're right I had better practise drawing more instead of creating websites. Now, as I've a site I'm quite content with, I'll use it, but I should improve its content as you said. Thanks for your advice.

The comments so far are right on the money.

What money do you mean?

It's an american expression. "right on the money" means it's "correct" or "exactly right".

Guest ulisse

Nice sketches!

But i think you must learn a rendering software, the impact is different end higly explosive!

Also for the site, i know it's only a platform but all of us are start to judge a person for the first impression... maybe later we can change the idea, but...

And i'm not agree with rodanx86, It's difficult that a company choose you, at first experience for serious design, so, it's very important to learn as musch software as you can.

you can give your contribute first with presentations, visualization and modeling, after that with little restylings and in designing small parts (a spoiler, a particoular of the interiors etc), then with a complete design.

I talk for (just a little bit) experience, all the design studios i know, search for a person who can help them with a lot of things, after that they will let you start to design...

i think that the way: "sketch---concept----design", today, is only for the well knowns designers (giugiaro, starck pininfarina etc)... wecan have a chance to be a step foreward only if we can use our contemporary way of expression...

Guest andrej

Yes ulisse, you're right I should learn a 3D software, but the most important thing for me now is to successfuly complete the examinations for a industrial design university study. I must draw a lot now and prepare some portfolio and I'm not sure whether I'll have some time to learn for instance Rhino.

I think what design schools are looking for is, as rodanx86 has mentioned, 1) good thinking skills and 2) good sketching skills. And I think a rendering software can be added later - taught at the university. Or, do they require some 3D modeling skills? Are the applicants with these skills preferred?

Guest sachin

I should have mentioned by reference I mean other people's drawings. It is really handy to look at how other people draw cars. Especially to get a good idea of how they handle proportion, line quality and design.

Reference can also include really neat pictures of cars, pictures of cars that reflect a lot of sky and sunlight into the car really make a rendering easier to execute.

Guest Wyvern

Good work for a 17yr old. Think the other replies speak for themselves. Keep it up and u'll get there!

Andrej- it looks like you have had some very positive experiences with design industry. That is awesome (I am jealous ;) ) Be caerful though of leaving the paper and pencil so early. My friend has a term for people who use software to hide an inability to draw correctly- "polishing a turd" If you do not have basic perspective and line weight down, no amount of coloring and rendering in any program will disguise it. The computer is a good tool if you know what you are doing.

At this stage if you are drawing correct perspectives and ellipses, it is far more impressive than if you could use Photoshop or Rhino or any other program (plus paper and pencil is always cheaper than buying a program)

Most experienced designers WILL tell you that a booklet of accurate pencil line sketches will always be more awesome and intriguing than a mediocre set of Photoshop rendered sketches. The basic foundation of form development is the paper and pencil. If you dont understand how basic form development works you are unlikely to have the sensitivity that even good CAD designers need.

Guest andrej

Parel- You're right. First I should learn how to draw correctly and CAD software skills can be added later. I'll be able to learn it at a design university. Moreover, it's not necessary to be able to use any CAD software when applying for design university studies. Of course I'd like to learn to use Alias or Rhino, but I had better learn how to draw correctly first.

I also appreciate much more design presentations which do not include only 3D CAD renderings, but also some sketches to show their thinking process and the development of the design. Then if the designer is experienced enough, (s)he can create a nice presentation mixing together some fresh sketches and cool CAD renderings.

Thanks for your advice.