Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
dbrlogan

Loading A Model In Photoview 360

Hi

I"m trying to work in PV360 but it won't even let me load a model. The model was created in SW2011 and has color and material assigned. I try to open any model - part or assembly - and get a message that scene will not load. I don't want to load a scene I want to load a model to see if I can get any kind of rendering out of this new software.

How can you use this software if it won't load the model/

I would rather have the Photoworks back. At least that worked. How do I restore photoworks since PV360 doesn't function?

Guest bagaudae

in SW 2011 PV360 is included in Solidworks, just as photoworks used to.

Not sure i understand what is going on, but:

If you are trying to load a model generated on SW2011 into PhotoView360 2010 standalone, it won't probably work since it is considered a "future version" for PhotoWiew 2010.. Is this it? or did i got it wrong?

But for what it's worth, I also preferred the good old Photoworks.

no this is straight 2011. Loaded everything in as is with no changes or modifications. Now I try to used it and nothing which is a problem cause the clients are expecting at least some level of good rendering.

Guest Shift1313
Hi

I"m trying to work in PV360 but it won't even let me load a model. The model was created in SW2011 and has color and material assigned. I try to open any model - part or assembly - and get a message that scene will not load. I don't want to load a scene I want to load a model to see if I can get any kind of rendering out of this new software.

How can you use this software if it won't load the model/

I would rather have the Photoworks back. At least that worked. How do I restore photoworks since PV360 doesn't function?

You shouldnt have to load anything. with PV360 integrated into SW2011 if you have a part or assembly open, thats it. Are you saying you cant open models at all? Is Photoview 360 up top with the rest of your menus? If not you can go to Tools>add-ins and make sure it comes up on start up. Can you give us a little more info about what you see and what your procedure is.

I would open the separate PW360 and then try to import. I have been told that I should not use that but use the PV360 imbeded in SW2011. I have tried that and got something to work with tho my black sheet steel looks very pixilated gray or silver in the PV view window (not main SW window) tho the side sheet metal looks oday. Haven't worked with lighting or anything else too much yet so don't know if that is too bright a direct light or what at khis time.

Guest Shift1313
I would open the separate PW360 and then try to import. I have been told that I should not use that but use the PV360 imbeded in SW2011. I have tried that and got something to work with tho my black sheet steel looks very pixilated gray or silver in the PV view window (not main SW window) tho the side sheet metal looks oday. Haven't worked with lighting or anything else too much yet so don't know if that is too bright a direct light or what at khis time.

Well as far as I know there is no separate PV360 for 2011. 2010 was the last version that offered that so your issue sounds like a version incompatibility. Was this external PV360 on the 2011 install disc? I just checked mine and didnt see it listed anywhere.

As far as the materials. Use the standard scenes and standard settings. You may need to rotate the environment depending on how you are looking at the model. It will drag the system down but you can change the shading to "integrated preview" and it will give you a better idea of the surroundings. The material dont always look right on a lower quality setting so you might need to kick it up a bit.

Where did you get this "black sheet steel" from? Is this a custom modified material? What is the end result you are looking for? a true mild steel look or something coated? maybe i can play around with the materials and help you out with some settings to get you close.

Just material - sheet steel color - black.

I've had weird looks in PW before so I believe it is just lighting and environment. I'll be playing with it today to see what happens as the client chose a design from pencil sketchs so I'm building it up today.

Thanks

Guest Shift1313
Just material - sheet steel color - black.

I've had weird looks in PW before so I believe it is just lighting and environment. I'll be playing with it today to see what happens as the client chose a design from pencil sketchs so I'm building it up today.

Thanks

well let me know if i can help. One thing to keep in mind is the bump size and the specular color.

In the Edit Scene section on the Illumination Tab you can change the scene reflectivity and the background brightness. These numbers can help you. If you go into the options and use the Dynamic help it will help explain each setting. Direct Caustics is something that was added to 2011 that has an affect on clear plastics but will certainly change your reflective metals. Inside your material on the Advanced tab under Illumination the specular spread, specular color and reflection amount variables will have a large change in your render. Under Surface finish you can alter the bump. This will make your material look pixilated and grainy depending on the setting/base material. Take note that you can change the surface finish from a color to something else.

I suggest you play with the color you want on a simple object in the scene you want to use to get a feel for the settings. Use the preview window and lower quality/smaller renders until you think you have things close.

Right I am beginning to see the picture now.

Yes, there is no standalone version of PV360 now. The standalone version from 2010 will not open SW 2011 files. You must run PV 360 inside the SolidWorks modelling window.

It sound like you are looking at the Preview window. The off line renders (as in when you hit the render button) should give good results. The preview render builds the render up progressively in realtime. It is NOT like working in PhotoWorks. You basically pick an environment and that acts as the lighting. For best results turn off any SolidWorks lights you have added, and just use the HDRI environment.

I'd suggest you take a look at the videos posted on the SolidWorks Forum - search by Marlon Banta - they are quite detailed. There are also tons of online PhotoView videos now. It really is a case of experimenting.