Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

Pontiac And Other Vehicles

Hey,

I'm not sure if you happened to read a comment I left for you only a few weeks ago. But if you didn't then here ya go. I don't see any inspiration or basic understanding of how renderings work. Here's a challenge for you. In your next post, show us that you know a process of creating form. Try drawing something OTHER than a vehicle, like a spray bottle or a pair of sunglasses. Oh, and here's the catch, don't do it on the computer. Do it in pencil, or pen and marker. And like I said in my previous reply to one of your post, in the past few years that you have been throwing up sketches, I haven't seen a whole of improvement. Here's just an example, I'm a graphic designer but I dive into other things to keep my mind working.

post-49520-0-12428700-1301794793.jpg

post-49520-0-67834500-1301795012.jpg

I agree, that my designs suck , and i hate myself for that, but I also hate that people can`t precisely pinpoint step by step light patterns, colouring, perspective nuancing, so it takes me time to figure it out by simply touching in darkness. I am simply observing but not learning from a teacher, what I have observed is that light bounces back at 90 degrees, and that it tends to find only one brighter area on an object, i also presume that metals take colours of shadows from their oxides- Steel-brown, copper- green, lead- orange, just my guess. I have noticed that I usually ruin my sketches by applying colour to it. here is a sketch of a cruise ship of next generation, maybe you can use this one to show what you wanted to show. or if you need something more simpler, tell me I will try to draw it. And be axact- words like` I don`t see inspiration` won`t get me anywhere. Thanks in advance.

post-49196-0-40392100-1301863985.jpg

Alright it is past midnight in my country, so I couldn`t come up with any bright idea, so I just sketched quickly a Tv set for Zenith. I wanted to make the side speaker panels near the curve bendable on hinges, but anyway, you got the point. Maybe this one is better to show basics on than the ship.

post-49196-0-34553500-1301868549.jpg

Hey, hey hey, no one EVER said your sketches suck. There are some designers I study and work with that can't draw for @#$@#$. Those are also the kids that think they can conceptualize quicker in the Adobe Suite rather than pen and paper. They will also NEVER have a job. But here's what I mean by inspiration. I had to design a light fixture for class using serial planes. Everyone did something that resembled what was in our text books. Walking around the store I noticed and I kid you not, window blinds. This is what I came up with. I have some rough sketches but since I have a final piece it's easier to see. But either way, see how something as simple as window fixtures was adopted, taken out of context, wripped a part and molded into something different. That is design. Don't get me wrong, CS, Autodesk, SolidWorks, Sketchbook Pro are all great tools. But learn how to crawl first. The reason why everyone is giving you the same feedback is because we can't see your process and how you think. We need to tweak your basics before a full rendering. Show us some cubes, let us see your perspective work, your pencil roughs. This is how we learn.

post-49520-0-03739400-1301868311.jpg

post-49520-0-24919300-1301868320.jpg

I agree with you completely, my sketches are stale, stagnant and lack dynamism, as I can`t still figure it out how distorting & swaying lines creates dynamique, my sketches look as if sketched by an insecure old man, who is not sure what he is doing, but keeps on coming back with the same. The progress is so minute that even a munchkin would barely notice it. But I know what I want, and i will sketch more, and try to ask for help in using more tools than just brush and pen. I want to design better than Chevrolet Stingray concept( 2009) or YF-23 Black Widow plane( i consider these 2 examples of perfect design), and I know it sounds arrogant, but I have set my goals, and I won`t stop. I will also try to sketch more simple things to hone perspective skills. Perspective, patchiness, stale lines, lineweight are my main issues. I know it is silly to want to be the best while being megamediocre, but , anyway, I should listen more to people and stop being so ...stubborn. Here are some sketches of other bull... most of which were so lame I even didn`t bother colouring them. Most of them are older sketches, and I totally hate them. tell me exactly what simple object to sketch , and I will practice, but please not cubes, at least something that has application. I like your lamp < i think I should design a skyscraper outta it:)thanks for your input, and for everybody else who `s been putting with up me for `hijacking` sketching section with `bull`;)

post-49196-0-25784200-1301907947.jpg

I slightly shadowed the Zenith TV set. I didn`t have time to finish it, might return to it unless I have sketched something else by then. I haven`t finished the ideation yet, but I will make the tv stamd configurable, so that the same stand could be used when the tv needs to be attached to the wall.

post-49196-0-15192900-1301940814.jpg

Ohhhhhhhh I see. Start off with big shapes, and work your way down to the details. A really good way to learn this is portrait sketching. This is just my take on it, but it appears you're concentrating on one spot for too long before you get an idea of the overall piece. It's all about value shapes. Meaning, block EVERYTHING in with an overall tone, whether it be black, blue, red etc. Then give it form with different values, gray, crimson, purple. Since you obviously use photoshop, work really sloppy so you don't feel bad if it doesn't turn out the way you want it.

Pontiac Cliffhanger sketch.I used a different computer, my current one is in a shop for fixing, so I am not sure about aspect ratio of this one.

post-49196-0-29415400-1304538186.jpg