Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cryper25

Drill Gauge 3d Print

Guest Cryper25

Hello peoples,

So i was working on a keychain dill gauge. it' works on a simple hinge. was hoping ic ould just use gravity while its closed to keep it closed because i'm not sure how to create a strong tension hinge. i'm having trouble with the part that connects to the key ring. trying to prevent any sort of collision or preventing the flaps from hitting the keyring just enough that it opens nicely.

obviously open to critique if i'm posting here.

Cryper

p.s. - anybody use shapeways yet?

any reviews or recommendations for 3d printing aluminide?

post-15119-1294398107.jpgpost-15119-1294398112.jpg

post-15119-1294398118.jpgpost-15119-1294398122.jpg

post-15119-1294397942.jpg

post-15119-1294397951.jpg

post-15119-1294397959.jpg

post-15119-1294397969.jpg

Guest Shift1313

Interesting idea. From the scale id say you will have some trouble printing the fractions.

How are the hinged pieces fastened? It looks almost like you have a screw in there. I think you will have a hard time relying on gravity to close the hinge since its a plastic/plastic piece.

Do you often need a key chain drill guide? I hate bulky keys and dont carry any key chains so to me i would prefer a pocket one. I have a thin metal guide that is about the size of a dollar that would be much more ideal.

I think its a neat idea im just having some trouble seeing the application. We use drill bit gauges from time to time but keep them near the drill bits. Im not trying to knock your design just trying to get a better idea of the application so I can possibly give you some helpful advice.

Hello peoples,

So i was working on a keychain dill gauge. it' works on a simple hinge. was hoping ic ould just use gravity while its closed to keep it closed because i'm not sure how to create a strong tension hinge. i'm having trouble with the part that connects to the key ring. trying to prevent any sort of collision or preventing the flaps from hitting the keyring just enough that it opens nicely.

obviously open to critique if i'm posting here.

Cryper

p.s. - anybody use shapeways yet?

any reviews or recommendations for 3d printing aluminide?

post-15119-1294398107.jpgpost-15119-1294398112.jpg

post-15119-1294398118.jpgpost-15119-1294398122.jpg

Guest Cryper25

Hey Appreciate the interest Shift,

A teacher of mine showed me an entire working bike chain printed in 3D. I figured since that worked okay so would a hinge. but taking account in what you said. I don't like carrying bulky items either. it's just that the shops at school are nowhere near as organized as i wish they were (we actually misplace the @#$@#$ drill gauge a lot), i thought something in the keychain form would be less likely to get lost. scale is about 2.5"x2.5"x3/16". should cost me less than $1 to print it out.

i reworked the design a little to try and simplify. ignore the fonts please. gonna try and recompose those again later this week. still open for critique.

post-15119-1295551400.jpg

post-15119-1295551409.jpg

post-15119-1295553361.jpg

Interesting idea. From the scale id say you will have some trouble printing the fractions.

How are the hinged pieces fastened? It looks almost like you have a screw in there. I think you will have a hard time relying on gravity to close the hinge since its a plastic/plastic piece.

Do you often need a key chain drill guide? I hate bulky keys and dont carry any key chains so to me i would prefer a pocket one. I have a thin metal guide that is about the size of a dollar that would be much more ideal.

I think its a neat idea im just having some trouble seeing the application. We use drill bit gauges from time to time but keep them near the drill bits. Im not trying to knock your design just trying to get a better idea of the application so I can possibly give you some helpful advice.