Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
dbrlogan

Sw2011 Decals

I just loaded SW2011 so now I am totally hosed. I have two models of rack mounted equipment that I need to add a decal of the front and back. With SW2010 Photoworks I just create a decal or add a jpeg. No problem.

In SW2011 there is no instruction on how to now create a decal. There is a message to go to the decal property manager and save something??? as a decal but no info on where the property manager is. There is alot of discussion in help about what a decal is but no info on creating one from a jpeg or how to find one or a jpeg that is not part of the default logo or decal folder.

I just want to add decals to a dumb solid. I have done it many times in previous SW Photoworks. Now with SW2011 I have no way of adding, creating or using decals. I had to get this out quickly and with SW2010 it would have already been done. Now I have to email the client and tell him that we can no longer use decals to create images since we have updated to SW2011 and photoworks has been dropped unless someone can quickly tell me how to get around the mess created by SolidWorks.

And now that I have to learn how to create photorealistic images and decaling from scratch since photoworks no longer exists and the photowhatever 360 has taken its place - any suggestions on where I can learn to use this new program as I throw out my photoworks books?

The client is waiting and expected the work tomorrow. Thanks to Solidworks 2011 the client won't be getting his job.

Thanks

Guest Shift1313
I just loaded SW2011 so now I am totally hosed. I have two models of rack mounted equipment that I need to add a decal of the front and back. With SW2010 Photoworks I just create a decal or add a jpeg. No problem.

In SW2011 there is no instruction on how to now create a decal. There is a message to go to the decal property manager and save something??? as a decal but no info on where the property manager is. There is alot of discussion in help about what a decal is but no info on creating one from a jpeg or how to find one or a jpeg that is not part of the default logo or decal folder.

I just want to add decals to a dumb solid. I have done it many times in previous SW Photoworks. Now with SW2011 I have no way of adding, creating or using decals. I had to get this out quickly and with SW2010 it would have already been done. Now I have to email the client and tell him that we can no longer use decals to create images since we have updated to SW2011 and photoworks has been dropped unless someone can quickly tell me how to get around the mess created by SolidWorks.

And now that I have to learn how to create photorealistic images and decaling from scratch since photoworks no longer exists and the photowhatever 360 has taken its place - any suggestions on where I can learn to use this new program as I throw out my photoworks books?

The client is waiting and expected the work tomorrow. Thanks to Solidworks 2011 the client won't be getting his job.

Thanks

First off i understand your frustrations and i know(havent installed it yet since its only on SP1) that the new PV/PW integration has caused more than a few headaches for people. Since there is new software to learn and there appears to be a steep learning curve for most with it I would suggest a re-install of 2010 and just transfer the license back and forth between them on the same computer(this should work i think). I transfer my license between 09 and 10 on different computers so if you can isolate them on one machine you can do the same. In older version i have never been able to use decals in PV360 but they have always worked fine in PhotoWorks. This may be a silly question but was the PV/PW add-in turn on from tools>add-ins?

Wish i could be more help but without 2011 installed im just speculating.

Im sure youve probably already been there but a search through the PV360 forum might find you an answer.

https://forum.solidworks.com/community/soli...ns/photoview360

Guest Shift1313
thanks for your help

Wish i could be more help. I did get the word that we are installing 2011 next week at work. I know it will be too late for your deadline but I will play around with it a bit and respond to this post if I figure out the answer.

Thanks

I have found that it is actually easier to add a decal than I thought. You do have to select the existing decal in the folder and add it to your surface but then you can change the decal to your own jpeg. And you can do it from SW rather than photoworks which helps if you only need the decals.

Guest bildder

BTW

I, for example still using both SW 2011 with PV360 and standalone PV360 2010 with PhotoWorks. Each new version is stripped down, has a smaller functionality, where are setup for illumination, caustic, anti-aliasing etc?

Guest Shift1313
Thanks

I have found that it is actually easier to add a decal than I thought. You do have to select the existing decal in the folder and add it to your surface but then you can change the decal to your own jpeg. And you can do it from SW rather than photoworks which helps if you only need the decals.

I added a decal in sw2011 without having to do that logan. I just went to the PhotoView 360 menu at the top and go to Edit Decal... This lets you browse wherever you want for your decal. This is the same way it was done in 09 and 10 when using the built in photoworks. Does this work for you or no? I am running sp1.0.

There are a lot of changes to SW2011 for rendering - for the better I think. I never got on with photoworks personally. The big difference in 2011 for decals is that they now work in all versions of SolidWorks, not just Pro and above. I recommend you take a look at the SolidWorks forum at SolidWorks.com and do a search for Photoview 360 2011. During beta there were a lot of videos posted detailing the new features. A lot of these are available at other sites as well. SolidWorks World is next week so keep an eye out for lots of content from the people doing presentations at SWW.

thanks for the tip about going to the sw site. I still can't get a 2011 model to load into PV360 at all. Just get the scene won't load message and that's it. Do want to learn it as that is something my clients are asking for now. Got a shot at a big job if I can get some good ID ideas and renderings.