Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
R.P.S

In 100 Years We Laugh Again

19th century

- All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle.

- At the intersection of Douglas and Broadway, all motorists are required to stop at the intersection, exit their vehicles, and fire three shotgun rounds, before continuing on their way.

- If a motorist sees a horse coming down the road, the driver must pull off to the side of the road and cover the vehicle with canvas. If the horse is still scared the driver must get out of his car and take it apart until the horse isn't scared any more

20th century

- A bill going through the American Congress wants to establish a minimum level of sound for vehicles that are not using an internal-combustion engine, so that blind people and other pedestrians can hear them coming. The bill’s proponents also want that audible alert to be one that will help people judge the direction and speed of the vehicle. A similar idea is being explored by the European Commission.

Sad we have all we need to drive with e-cars but politics and lobbying push the target in to a far future.

I think Industrial designers could do a lot of pushing the whole process by thinking different, communicate free without commercial interests and share there knowledge ideas and technology with each other.

I would like to hear what other people here think, why the process of driving by e-cars is so slowly?

And what we can do to speed up things.

Peter

I ask and answer myself something

- There are no network for charging the cars like gas-stations.

- There don't need to be a network of gas station like places. Power is nearly everywhere available in each household. It needs just a simple box IP67 mounted outside the house or garden door. Insert a coin and plug in your charging cable. The owner can make a few bucks by selling the power ( i guess lobbying politicians soon would declared it illegal to resell power )

- The driving distance is not enough.

- If there is everywhere a place to recharge, the driving distance don't need to be that far.

- The batteries to expensive and the lifetime to short.

- Thats right................ So why we use batteries? if they are expensive and with a short lifetime.

Instead of batteries what is basically a chemical energy storage we could use a physical energy storage. As EDLC ( electrolytic double layer capacitors) the name is a little misguiding but anyway it is a energy storage and a amazing one

charging cycles up to 1.5 mill times compare to the realistic 1000 cycles of a lithium batterie and a self-discharge near zero over years. Next the time component the EDLC can be charged in seconds compare to hours for a lithium battery as well it can be discharged in the same speed.

Of course there are some disadvantages as the size compare to the energy content but thats something what can be handled. It don't need to be too big during the fact power is everywhere available and the charging time is in the second or minute range. It's a question of design to integrate the volume of energy storages in a vehicle during the fact of the nearly unlimited lifetime there is no need of easy access to the storage.

That system in a city public transport system would be great if the bus is jumping from station to station and recharged during the people enter or leave the bus. The charging station could be integrated in the waiting house, the roof made of solar-cells to help keep the energy storage in the roof structure charged.

Peter

- A bill going through the American Congress wants to establish a minimum level of sound for vehicles that are not using an internal-combustion engine, so that blind people and other pedestrians can hear them coming. The bill’s proponents also want that audible alert to be one that will help people judge the direction and speed of the vehicle. A similar idea is being explored by the European Commission.

I keep going

That's one very stupid idea to make noise where is no noise. The problem is the blind people cant see the car. So why they think the blind have to hear it? Why not feel? The driving car could send a signal any ultrasonic frequency out of listening range for humans or animals this signal could be used to trigger a vibration alert in the handle of the white cane the blind people use. I think it would be easier to do that for thousands as to create a artificial noise to drive millions insane.

maybe i am wrong

Peter

No Pro no Con

i will keep asking stupid till someone shout stop

Question for the car designers and enthusiasts here.

Why i have to "climb" in a car?

Why i can not simple sit down? just like in a normal chair with dignity with my feet on the ground. You have to bend sidewards with your back first depends on the car it is a more or less sportive act to go in or out. Im not disabled i just ask. Over the years everything is driven by usability each button and handle is designed for perfect touch and feel the position for easy access and so on but the first interaction between human and car is still the same how to go in.

For the E-Cars it seems the perfect solution to have 4 engines in the wheels integrated so there is now plenty of space to improve the usability and make the car around the human.

Peter

Guest spillai00

Not that i dont luv u rambling on theard after thread but i do have a little to share..

Back in the day...I took a seminar in college on the evolution of the Automobile....The car has changed tenfolds over the years but the IC Engines is basically the same...pour fuel and let it burn burn burn......with a 17 percent effi.. ouch ...thi sis real pathetic

It all comes down to commercial viability of such an idea . (I think u know where i am going with this). A Prof. once told me that we have the technology to reach Mars or build an international space world ( a full fledged space station)..but if we do it now...we will pretty much bring abt the next recesion and who know even WW3.

Instead of forcing the implementation of the e-car ....it should speak for itself.... basically be better than a regular car. Otherwise peeps r not going to give a @#$@#$....

Tesla is a concept that i think is going in the right direction. ...www.teslamotors.com

And i Am sure that SHELL is either working o ralraedy have the technology to make the e-car happen ...but they r just waiting for the right time to unvail it.....

Ram

Not that i dont luv u rambling on theard after thread but i do have a little to share..

Back in the day...I took a seminar in college on the evolution of the Automobile....The car has changed tenfolds over the years but the IC Engines is basically the same...pour fuel and let it burn burn burn......with a 17 percent effi.. ouch ...thi sis real pathetic

It all comes down to commercial viability of such an idea . (I think u know where i am going with this). A Prof. once told me that we have the technology to reach Mars or build an international space world ( a full fledged space station)..but if we do it now...we will pretty much bring abt the next recesion and who know even WW3.

Instead of forcing the implementation of the e-car ....it should speak for itself.... basically be better than a regular car. Otherwise peeps r not going to give a @#$@#$....

Tesla is a concept that i think is going in the right direction. ...www.teslamotors.com

And i Am sure that SHELL is either working o ralraedy have the technology to make the e-car happen ...but they r just waiting for the right time to unvail it.....

Ram

You are probably right but in case of e-cars i think its different they are simple not available for the people to buy. The tesla car is as well just a few and the price is for the most people out of range. Its a pure theory that the people will not accept less performance. ( look at apples i-phone less function higher price but the people buy it )

I think the car industry will have there big Waterloo as well as the Music industry who oversleep the internet and the Mp3 codec or the Phone industry who ignored the human factor of usability and was hit over night by Apple a newcomer in the established industry not the best phone with a lot to improve but focused on human interaction ( i admire the fact to create such a complex product and deliver it worldwide without a real manual ) For the car industry will come a day as well where any newcomer in the game will suddenly appear and without care for there market offer a e-car for 5000 bucks. I guess some chinese car factory are able to produce the volume and hit the target price most basics they know already trained by greedy foreigners who went to there to make profit. Still lack on design and technology but i think that as well will be fixed soon.

Money, Profit lobbying and politics stopping us not the danger of any ww3 or recession opposite new markets will grew. The energy lobby is actually reaching far in politic decisions so they slow us down to keep there profit flowing.

In Germany there was a subvention program for alternative energy. So the engineers and designers going to work and create a small efficient engine combined with a generator wrapped in a system of water cooling pipes and heat exchanger. The result was a total efficiency of over 95% the people was more or less independent they don't need the power from the power plant and they don't need the gas or coal or oil for heating. A perfect system for a small house. The result was all aid, support and subvention was immediately stopped by the government i can guess from whats direction the pressure came from. The power plant companies make continuos billions of profit and destroy step by step the planet.

I truly believe that with design and engineering we could do a lot to push us forward if we stop to be care for commercial interests. As the guys at the Faunhofer Institute they had there jobs and wasn't care for Madona, Prince, or David Bowie's million income they just developed the mp3 codec and put it into the market. Would you have ask the music industry they would probably make a prophecy that the world goes to end if that happens.

just a bit more of my unsorted brain-stuff

Peter

Guest JCarruthers

Guys, there's no conspiracy, unless you consider the laws of physics to be a conspiracy. The reason electric cars haven't caught(and there were lots of electric cars in the early days of the automobile, and lots of the same promises about competitive range and cost being just around the corner)on is simple: battery technology is simply not good enough and barring some unforseen advance isn't going to be any time soon.

It's simply incredibly hard to make an energy storage technology that can compare to the liquefied sunshine provided by Mother Nature. It's more likely that thanks to incompetent government management of our power grid that in 10 or 20 years you'll be using your car to power your home than driving an electric car.

Guys, there's no conspiracy, unless you consider the laws of physics to be a conspiracy. The reason electric cars haven't caught(and there were lots of electric cars in the early days of the automobile, and lots of the same promises about competitive range and cost being just around the corner)on is simple: battery technology is simply not good enough and barring some unforseen advance isn't going to be any time soon.

It's simply incredibly hard to make an energy storage technology that can compare to the liquefied sunshine provided by Mother Nature. It's more likely that thanks to incompetent government management of our power grid that in 10 or 20 years you'll be using your car to power your home than driving an electric car.

Hi

Of course there is no conspiracy nobody have mentioned that. I take your statement as your point of view. Your "poetic" description of gasoline/oil sound's to me as you where in any case for V8 and muscle car instead of silent clean E-Car.

God bless soon the oil is empty. :)

Peter

Guest JCarruthers
Hi

Of course there is no conspiracy nobody have mentioned that. I take your statement as your point of view. Your "poetic" description of gasoline/oil sound's to me as you where in any case for V8 and muscle car instead of silent clean E-Car.

God bless soon the oil is empty. :)

Peter

Actually yes "conspiracy" has been implied in the replies.

Electric cars are only "clean" if the power source is clean.

Sorry, the oil is not running out anytime soon. People have been predicting the imminent end of the Oil Age ever since it began, they've been predicting it ever since it was coal we were about to run out of. And we should be very thankful for that since none of the alternatives, are at this time close to good enough to replace it.

Guest spillai00

Peter

Actually yes "conspiracy" has been implied in the replies.

Electric cars are only "clean" if the power source is clean.

Sorry, the oil is not running out anytime soon. People have been predicting the imminent end of the Oil Age ever since it began, they've been predicting it ever since it was coal we were about to run out of. And we should be very thankful for that since none of the alternatives, are at this time close to good enough to replace it.

JCarruthers.....look ..u have nipped it in the but ...there is no technology that can store electrical energ..in a mobile form enough to be used in a automobile....

Thas pretty much the major reason.....

And when i meant on conspiracy....i am sure all the oil gaints are researching to provide the next big thing....but even if they do find it ....they r going to milk the oil card for a long long time....

.....and yes oil isnt to get over very soon....Quatar has just discovered recently that it has one of the biggest crude oil resevoirs in the world...and if am not wrong there is one in Alaska..that is as bigger..t.

Peter ....u brought up soo many point on so many levels that it could start up ten forums...

....i wld say that a 5000 dollar car....u know there is a car already available for 4000 grams US...Its called the Tata Nano...

Guest Bucyrus

The electric car is about to be put on trial to either vindicate it or repudiate it once and for all. I am referring to the Chevy Volt. If the entire U.S. federal government plus General Motors, and plus an extravagant taxpayer subsidy cannot overcome the laws of physics, then nothing can. This is truly the most breathtaking of high wire acts. I am betting on the laws of physics, but it will be exciting because nobody is going to admit failure.

Putting an induction charging system in the road may be technologically feasible, but it adds enormous cost and complexity to an automotive concept that is already too complex to be practical. With only a 40-mile range on batteries, I predict that most owners will get tired of plugging the car in, and instead, will just drive it around with its gasoline engine. So then you will have an overly complex, moderately fuel-efficient car that hauls around a big, pointless payload of heavy dead batteries.

The Volt is truly symbolism over substance. What engineers have not been able to achieve in terms of practicality, they have made up for by showcasing a host of complicated gee-whiz electronic features. It will therefore be fraught with expensive maintenance issues.

Tests indicate that in cold weather, the Volt’s range descends into the twenties. And the use of the cabin heater steals valuable battery range. Drivers are being advised to “manage” their use of the heater. Proponents say that this problem can be offset by using the function that heats the cabin during charging. Maybe so, but that initial heat-up will probably disappear after a mile of driving.

A product is where the expertize is. The expertize is where the constant elbowgrease is. Both are the cradle of middle class. Smart countries marry the first two. Don`t have to be Einstein to guesstimate where the future of cars might come from......

Guest Bucyrus
A product is where the expertize is. The expertize is where the constant elbowgrease is. Both are the cradle of middle class. Smart countries marry the first two. Don`t have to be Einstein to guesstimate where the future of cars might come from......

I'm not sure I follow you.