Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest André Silva

The Most Useful Hard Drive Ever

Guest André Silva

I know that an hard drive is something really common, however the Lacie float is more than an hard drive! :D

I hope you like it!

Lacie-Flot-presentation-file.jpg

Guest Ceri

Carbon fibre is not really a recyclable material:

Grinding up the end-of-life material and sending it to landfill or incinerating it, as happens with low-value glass reinforced plastic (GRP), has little appeal due to the non-degradability of carbon thermosets and the health and safety risks they pose.

The most promising solutions so far are still only laboratory experiments: http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file34992.pdf

Also recycling glass takes almost as much energy as creating virgin glass and is more likely to become contaminated (unless in a closed loop system). Glass also needs to be heated to high temperatures for prolonged periods so is a bit of a poor eco material also.

It's quite nice aesthetically though.

Guest André Silva
Carbon fibre is not really a recyclable material:

Grinding up the end-of-life material and sending it to landfill or incinerating it, as happens with low-value glass reinforced plastic (GRP), has little appeal due to the non-degradability of carbon thermosets and the health and safety risks they pose.

The most promising solutions so far are still only laboratory experiments: http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file34992.pdf

Also recycling glass takes almost as much energy as creating virgin glass and is more likely to become contaminated (unless in a closed loop system). Glass also needs to be heated to high temperatures for prolonged periods so is a bit of a poor eco material also.

It's quite nice aesthetically though.

Thank you very much for your comment!

My idea with recyclable materials was that we can give another use to them, I mean, explained in a very simple way, "transform" the glass into a bottle instead leave it anywhere. And yeh, recycle carbon fiber is not as simple as recycle aluminum, but since it's a metallic alloy, it's recyclable.

Cheers

André

My idea with recyclable materials was that we can give another use to them, I mean, explained in a very simple way, "transform" the glass into a bottle instead leave it anywhere. And yeh, recycle carbon fiber is not as simple as recycle aluminum, but since it's a metallic alloy, it's recyclable.

Cheers

André

Hi

The basic idea i like and i think it would look good. But where you got your ideas about carbon? it is not soft its not a metallic alloy and there is not really a way of efficient recycling the carbon or collecting carbon waste from households so far i know (i would like to learn if it is possible). The woven fiber-cloth is penetrated by clue or phenol to create any shape. If you want to do it recyclable as possible use PC (poly carbonate) instead of glass and for the top part any wooden material as MDF or other. In case of the use as touchpad there are two ways one is the old synaptic touchpad or the use of capacitive coated glass but both of them needs space. 5mm glass or pc for your light and 9-11.5mm for the Hard drive (2,5) plus the additional space for the touchpad electronic. i guess at least 22 to 25mm in total. Next would be the necessary power as i see there is only one USB connection the USB con is limited to 1 amp most computers deliver only 0,5amp on 5V now you need to fire your 21 LEDs the touchpad and the drive i think that will not work without some additional power adapter where we at the main problem transport should be so easy as possible. (btw. many of the touchpad gestures are patented by apple or synaptic or any other company)

Br

Peter

Guest André Silva

Cheers

André

Hi

The basic idea i like and i think it would look good. But where you got your ideas about carbon? it is not soft its not a metallic alloy and there is not really a way of efficient recycling the carbon or collecting carbon waste from households so far i know (i would like to learn if it is possible). The woven fiber-cloth is penetrated by clue or phenol to create any shape. If you want to do it recyclable as possible use PC (poly carbonate) instead of glass and for the top part any wooden material as MDF or other. In case of the use as touchpad there are two ways one is the old synaptic touchpad or the use of capacitive coated glass but both of them needs space. 5mm glass or pc for your light and 9-11.5mm for the Hard drive (2,5) plus the additional space for the touchpad electronic. i guess at least 22 to 25mm in total. Next would be the necessary power as i see there is only one USB connection the USB con is limited to 1 amp most computers deliver only 0,5amp on 5V now you need to fire your 21 LEDs the touchpad and the drive i think that will not work without some additional power adapter where we at the main problem transport should be so easy as possible. (btw. many of the touchpad gestures are patented by apple or synaptic or any other company)

Br

Peter

Hi,

Thank you very much for your comment.

Carbon fiber can be soft to the touch (take a look at the Sony Vaio Z series notebook)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...ategoryId=16154

About the carbon fiber's recycling, I talked about it at some months ago in school, I study sciences and not design but I love it though, and is possible recycle carbon fiber, however it's not as easy as recycle aluminum.

Now about the power, you made me think about it :D and I will do a search about that.

André